PDA

View Full Version : First Savage - rebarrel checklist

Matno
03-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Just picked up a Predator Hunter Max 1 in 22-250, planning to swap the barrel to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Total newbie to Savages (and bolt guns in general other than just using them...) Just want to make sure my bases are covered. Here's what I think I need (and some things I'm not sure if I do), let me know if I'm missing anything.

1) Barrel nut wrench. (Is the newer smooth barrel nut just a friction fit?)

2) Go/No-Go gauges (or at least a go gauge).

3) Magazine - here I'm not sure. I've searched all over the internet and feel like I must be blind to be missing this. Do I need a new magazine or follower? No clue for this particular caliber swap.

4) Recoil lug - I know it isn't necessary, but does it really make a difference? Are there even aftermarket lugs for the Accustock?

5) Bolt face - I'm fairly positive I don't need to change anything there, since both are .473"....

6) Barrel - I have no idea what the profile of this barrel is called. It's a straight taper and at the muzzle it measures .705". Before I buy a new one, I should probably figure this part out! I'm planning to keep the Accustock, so it needs to fit. Stock barrel is fluted, but I realize that's mostly a cosmetic thing and wouldn't pay extra for it. I do like the weight, but since the flutes are pretty shallow, I doubt they make much difference there.

A couple of barrel specific questions:
What finish would best match the matte black of the Savage barrel? (I may just go matte stainless or even cerakote, so it may not matter, but I'm curious)
Does anyone know of a prefit barrel in 6.5CM that would match the Predator hunter? (24" in the aforementioned profile). Even better would be one that is threaded for a muzzle brake, since I'll need that regardless of which barrel I get. Almost all of the ones I see online come in 26" length, which can obviously be cut down, but I'd rather order one that's ready to go. I assume some of the prefit ones could be modified prior to shipping, for a fee. Anyone know who would do that reasonably? I picked up the 22-250 for about $300 less than a new 6.5CM in the same model, so I figure I could spend 300-400 and still be within budget! :)
Leaning toward a Criterion or McGowan if they make what I need.

scooterf79
03-18-2015, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the addiction!
Ill try to answer some of your questions
1) Yes on the barrel nut wrench, and youll need either an action wrench or a barrel vise to hold it. Ive not had the enjoyment (read a pain) in removing a smooth nut. Seems most of the guys on here either use a pipe wrench or cut it with a dremel and then remove it.
2) Yes on the go-gauge. Up to you on the no-go. I use a piece of scotch tape on the back of my go-guage to make it a no go. Tape is right .002 so its actually a tighter headspace than the no-go (.004)
3) No need to change anything in the magazine that I know of. Unless your wanting to go blind mag or dbm or something like that. (Im not exactly sure which you have).
4) I always do a lug and nut on my builds. I already have it apart and for the $50...why not. Do they help, I haven't done any testing but they couldnt hurt. Ive not messed with the accustock so I cant say for certain.
5) Bolt face is good
6) The best thing to do on the contour is measure yours and then look at the barrel companies you mite use. Theyll have the measured sizes of their contours, thatll give you the closest idea.
The finish is totally up to you. Ive got matte m700 remage I just put togethe with a polished stainless barrel that looks pretty good I think. I also have a bead blasted stainless barrel on a glossy blue m110.....I like them both....
You can talk to Nss, McGowan or Apache and they will do anything you want. You may just need to wait a little longer for it to arrive.
Hope this helps some, therell be other guys with more experience than me chime in and give ya more input too.
Scooter

mikgarus
03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't know if you're aware but Savage sells that same model in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Matno
03-18-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't know if you're aware but Savage sells that same model in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Yes, I know, but they are hard to find, and since I picked up the 22-250 for $300 less than a new 6.5, I figured I could get a premium barrel for about the same price. Win/win...

Bigeclipse
03-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Yes, I know, but they are hard to find, and since I picked up the 22-250 for $300 less than a new 6.5, I figured I could get a premium barrel for about the same price. Win/win...

You can do everything you have stated...but you are correct about the recoil lug. I do not believe they make after market lugs for the accustock and honestly if you aren't shooting beyond 500 yards you really shouldn't need one. You can order an after market one and then cut it down on the sides to fit the stock but that would be a pain unless you have good machining equipment. As far as the barrel contour...you will want to measure your current barrel around where the stock ends and then post that here. People could then chime in...but it looks to me that a light varmint contour should fit or be very close to fitting with a little bit of sanding...

Matno
03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
It measures about .805 @ the end of the foreend, and .705 @ the muzzle. Also, I'm definitely planning to shoot this over 500 yards. I already have guns that will do short range quite nicely. This is going to be my long range gun, so 1000-1200 is the goal. Lots of wide open space where I shoot!

Bigeclipse
03-18-2015, 04:08 PM
It measures about .805 @ the end of the foreend, and .705 @ the muzzle. Also, I'm definitely planning to shoot this over 500 yards. I already have guns that will do short range quite nicely. This is going to be my long range gun, so 1000-1200 is the goal. Lots of wide open space where I shoot!

I think a criterion light varmint should work with out modification but I would suggest getting a new recoil lug and nut from northland shooter supply. They make squared and trued competition type nuts for the savages. As for the recoil lug...you will have to have it machined to fit in your accustock.

Matno
03-19-2015, 02:31 AM
Hmmm. Looks like Dark Eagle sells two specific, different magazines: one for the 22-250, and one for the 308/6.5 Creedmoor. What am I missing and how are they different?

Robinhood
03-19-2015, 09:54 AM
The feed lips are slightly different.
For your barrel call Jon before you buy. 406-854-2157
http://www.x-caliber.net/main/XCAL-page.asp?P=35

Matno
03-21-2015, 01:34 AM
Thanks! I've heard good things about the x-caliber barrels, but seems like they're not quite as well known. I will say this though, Jon got back to me right away with a detailed price quote that was quite reasonable. That's better CS than any of the other barrel guys I've contacted via email, not one of whom has replied yet. Seems like it might be hard to go wrong with this one...