PDA

View Full Version : Action is a little loose

romad97
03-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I am building my 223 AI and I noticed today that the action screws on just a tiny bit loose to the barrel. My barrel is a brand new cbi. Has anyone ever noticed this? Is this common? It isn't loose to the point where I feel it will slip or anything but, it does have just a tiny bit of wiggle in it until it gets screwed down quite a ways. This obviously dissapears when the barrel nut it tightened down to a rock solid state. Maybe I am worried about nothing. I just seem to get a bit nervouse when anything related to safety is involved. I guess I was just wondering if this was common. This is only my second build. My first build the action and barrel tolerance was so tight it barel screwed on.

foxx
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Loose as you screw it into the action a couple turns or loose until the nut is tightened down? If it requires a tight nut to make it tight, I'd be concerned too.

romad97
03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Yes, it is just a tiny bit loose until the nut is tightened. I was just wondering how much tolerance is acceptable or considered dangerous. It tightens up perfectly tight with the use of the nut but, there is a tiny bit of play between the action and barrel before the nut is actually tightened down.

foxx
03-17-2015, 10:28 PM
I have swapped barrels on maybe 20 different actions in the past year and never observed what you are describing. Some are certainly tighter than others, but none were by any means something I would consider loose. If I were you, I would try a different barrel for comparison (to confirm whether the action is to blame or the barrel) and then contact CBI.

romad97
03-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Well i would love to try this. Unfortunately the only other small shank barrel I have is my 243. I really hate to break it down as I would have to rent some go/no go guages again to put it back together. I know a gunsmith will charge me a fortune just to probably tell me its fine as well. I will ask around and see if I can get ahold of a savage or stevens take off barrel somewhere. The further back I screw it into the action the tighter is does become. I am probably worried about nothing but, this is only my second time installing a barrel and I just don't want to make a mistake.