PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounts and Rings Recomendations!

GarMan
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
First off, first post!

Hello! I really need some help here. First a little background info, I grew up in South Texas, and hunted most of my childhood and teenage life. Moved off to college, and couldn't afford to hunt anymore. Lame! So, I'm older now, and can afford to go after some Deer and Hogs. I've never own my own rifle. I've always used hand-me-downs for a hunt. I've dropped deer with a .222, .243, .30-30, and a .45-70.

So, after visting Cabella's and trying out all the rifles, I put a new Savage 111 .25-06 on layaway. I've done some research online and Savage was on my short list. The accustock felt great, the action cycled like butter, but the trigger sold me. WAAYYY Better than anything out there. I'm sure that I won't make any adjustments to the trigger.

OK. So here is the problem. I don't have any idea about Scope Mounts or Rings?! I need some suggestions! I haven't bought a scope yet, but I want the best bang for my buck. I'm seriously considering this one: https://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BS423944M

I've heard great things about the 4200 series, and it fits my price range (under $300). I've heard that the Savage Long action is longer than other rifles. I would like a 2 piece mounting system if I can, but I really need some suggestions and some guidance here. I'm thinking about the Talley Lightweights for starters. In the end, I was going to have the guys at Cabellas mount the scope and bore sight it for me. However, I want to buy my Scope, mounts, and rings online.

In addition, if any have scope recomendations, please throw them at me! 9 power is my minimum, and I also like some sort of Ballistic Plex recticle. Thanks in advance!

GarMan
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone?

HRstretch
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Burris signature rings with inserts to install if you want more elevation later on for longer shots. Probably won't need these at first. Tally is a good start with rings or bases, as are badger.

If your talking Burris 4200 scope, yes that's a good scope for your gun. 25-06 can reach out there, so a 4X16 may be what you want.

You might also want to look at the Vortex line, the entry level Croosfire has good glass and turret adjustments, top end vipers compete well with more expensive glass. IMHO. I have Burris rings and croosfire scope and am really happy with the combo. It is the 6X24X50 scope but I stretch my shooting on out there and like the bigger magnification.

dfrosch
09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Although I don't know the specifics of the scope and mounts that you are looking at, using a two piece mount on a long action will probably limit your eye relief adjustment. I'd recommend a good picatinny rail like EGW or Farrell and some Burris signature zee rings.

Good luck,
Dana

GarMan
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Good Deal! Thanks guys!

Dana, which EGW rail would fit my new Savage 111FHNS? Don't know if I have a flat or round top?

I would like to check out a Vortex, but I haven't seen one?! I would also like to get a 14x, but the good ones are out of my price range or so it seems. This is another scope I'm considering, and this is the best price I've seen so far. I've picked these up in stores. They are nice! Nikon Monarch: http://www.tacticalgunarmory.com/product_p/nk8411.htm

GarMan
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
OH. In addition, if I go the picatinny route and got a scope with an objective no larger than 42, which height rings should I get? Thanks again!

dfrosch
09-16-2009, 03:36 PM
...which EGW rail would fit my new Savage 111FHNS? Don't know if I have a flat or round top?

Look at the receiver behind the ejection port. The newer ones are round rear.

Dana

GarMan
09-16-2009, 03:41 PM
...which EGW rail would fit my new Savage 111FHNS? Don't know if I have a flat or round top?

Look at the receiver behind the ejection port. The newer ones are round rear.

Dana

Well, I don't have the rifle in front of me. It is on layaway at the store. It is this new one with the accustock, so I assume it is a round rear?

dfrosch
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
...so I assume it is a round rear?

I would too.

dfrosch
09-16-2009, 10:40 PM
OH. In addition, if I go the picatinny route and got a scope with an objective no larger than 42, which height rings should I get? Thanks again!

Medium rings should work.

erikrs301
09-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Weaver #413 one-piece fit my 111FCXP3.
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/10996__Outers_Scope_Mounts_WEAV_48425_413__TOP_MNT _B.aspx?SR=1

GarMan
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I went ahead and talked to guys at DNZ, and they were extremely helpful. I bought one of their one piece scope mounts. I also went with a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42sf to top off the rifle. It should be one sweet set-up! Thanks for your help everyone!

ctrout
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Providing that the Nikon fits in the one-piece DNZ, you will have an EXCEPTIONAL optics set-up. If it turns out that the DNZ doesn't work, then I second the advice of an EGW with Burris rings. I have both types and they are both awesome mounting systems. The DNZ is on a short action though so I didn't have any issues with eye relief. I have tried a double dovetail two piece set up for a long action before though and it would not allow the mounting of any standard 3-9 scope because the rings were too far apart. I had to find an off-set base to bring the rings closer together. If the DNZ rings don't have any off set to them, you may run into problems.

GarMan
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Providing that the Nikon fits in the one-piece DNZ, you will have an EXCEPTIONAL optics set-up. If it turns out that the DNZ doesn't work, then I second the advice of an EGW with Burris rings. I have both types and they are both awesome mounting systems. The DNZ is on a short action though so I didn't have any issues with eye relief. I have tried a double dovetail two piece set up for a long action before though and it would not allow the mounting of any standard 3-9 scope because the rings were too far apart. I had to find an off-set base to bring the rings closer together. If the DNZ rings don't have any off set to them, you may run into problems.

Thanks! I talked with a guy named Tim at DNZ, and I told him the scope I was thinking about mounting the rifle with. He said that the Medium mount #18200 should work for me with no problems at all. There should be enough room to deal with any eye relief issues. I will keep everyone posted, and if it doesn't work then I'm sure to go the EGW with Burris Ring route. Hopefully, I can post some pics, when it is all done. Thanks again.