PDA

View Full Version : Headspace gauge.

PaddyD
03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I know this is not the correct procedure , but I have heard of people substituting actual gauges by taking a case, full length sizing it, filling it with epoxy so it won't distort and using it as a headspacing tool. Have any of you heard of or seen this done? Theoretically, it sounds like it might work.

GaCop
03-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Yes, that has been done to headspace a barrel. I did that mounting a 6.5X47 Lapua barrel a few years ago.

idunham
03-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Yes, that has been done to headspace a barrel. I did that mounting a 6.5X47 Lapua barrel a few years ago.

Is this as accurate/efficient, as using a headspace gauge?

PaddyD
03-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Is this as accurate/efficient, as using a headspace gauge?

Actually, I'd think it may be more accurate in the fact that the sized case used to set headspace in the rifle would be the same size that particular sizing die would be sizing your handloads to providing it was adjusted the same every time, but I'm not an expert gunsmith.

keeki
03-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Very accurate if you plan on shooting only reloads from that die. It may/may not shoot factory ammo

Newsshooter
03-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I used a once fired case/tape which was .0045, to put a barrel on over the weekend, double checked it with go/no gauges. It was right where is was supposed to be using the fired case.

PaddyD
03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Very accurate if you plan on shooting only reloads from that die. It may/may not shoot factory ammo

Factory ammo shouldn't be a problem since your full length sizer sizes a case down to fit in any standard factory chamber. Now, I don't think it would be wise to use just a fired case to headspace with that had NOT been full length resized as it could be too long and give you too much headspace when firing factory loads if the chamber it was fired in was reamed to the maximum. Besides, a tight chamber (within specs) lends to longer case life.

keeki
03-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Yea most of the time it will size them down, if the case has been annealed.

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Just get this and be done with it. $50 is cheap insurance.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/rcbs-precision-mic-cartridge-headspace-tool-prod33476.aspx

Newsshooter
03-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Just get this and be done with it. $50 is cheap insurance.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/rcbs-precision-mic-cartridge-headspace-tool-prod33476.aspx

How does that help with setting the headspace when putting on a new barrel?

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 09:15 PM
How does that help with setting the headspace when putting on a new barrel?

Haha I probably should have read the thread before I posted, I just saw headspace gauge in the title and thought of the RCBS mic.