PDA

View Full Version : barrel lapping

PaddyD
03-17-2015, 05:25 AM
This sounds like it is something that I, a hobbyist gun guy could do. I have a 110FPin .308Win. that shoots well, but fouls terribly. Can anyone point me to anywhere that can guide me through how to make a lap and use it CORRECTLY to smooth up that rough bore? It sounds too simple of an operation to be paying someone else to do for me.

robtattoo
03-18-2015, 12:19 AM
.308 jag + tight fitting cleaning patch + tooth paste/metal polish = lapping tool.
I've never used this on a through-bored gun, but I've done it on many, many traditional muzzleloaders.
Find a patch that creates a nice, tight fit in your bore, once mounted on the correct jag; load it up with toothpaste/polish & run it through your barrel, back & forth 100 times.
Test shoot & repeat as necessary.
It can take a while, but it's much gentler & precise than fire lapping or using scotchbrite.

robtattoo
03-18-2015, 12:20 AM
Either that or try a different bullet/powder.
What kind of fouling are you experiencing? I'm assuming copper...

PaddyD
03-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Either that or try a different bullet/powder.
What kind of fouling are you experiencing? I'm assuming copper...

copper and from every bullet tried in the last 10 years. Otherwise it shoots well so I figured it's worth trying to smooth some rather than screw a new barrel on.

gumbo333
03-18-2015, 10:17 AM
If you reload for 30 cal. there are coated bullet kits that you can smooth a bore with. Check someplace like Midway or Mid South. Think Tubbs brand is one that was available. Simple.

thomae
03-18-2015, 02:20 PM
If it quickly gets copper fouling, but shoots well, I would leave it alone. Since "shoots well" seems to be our collective overall objective, I'd bear with the copper fouling if it is not adversely affecting accuracy. Frankly, I don't care what your rifle looks like, externally or internally, but if it shoots well, I'll be suitably impressed.

One of the leitmotifs one sees in many of the the posts about Savage barrels is that they tend to shoot better once fouled or at least, slightly fouled. I don't have enough experience to verify that with authority, but enough folks have discussed it that I would certainly not discount it.

rbp75503
03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Here is Tubb's website link if you do reload:

http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-bullet-kits/finalfinish-bulletkit-308

There is also a link with the pdf instructions which explains the process and the advantages.

wbm
03-18-2015, 05:52 PM
One of the leitmotifs one sees in many of the the posts about Savage barrels is that they tend to shoot better once fouled or at least, slightly fouled. I don't have enough experience to verify that with authority, but enough folks have discussed it that I would certainly not discount it.

"leitmotif"....now there's one cool word. Thanks Thomae!

I had a Savage .308 a few years ago that shot great. However, after 11 rounds were fired out of a squeaky cleaned barrel it would shoot spectacular. Not 1 or 10 shots after but 11. That was the magic number. Tested this out more than once with that rifle and it was just uncanny.
Accuracy did not drop off until about 40 rounds were fired. Go figure!

KRP
03-18-2015, 10:52 PM
If hand lapping a bore was that simple everyone would do it....

eddiesindian
03-20-2015, 12:17 AM
I agree with thomae. And wbm. Some copper on the rifling is my best friend.

homefrontsniper
03-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Tubbs