PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 20 MOA rail

BigDave
03-16-2015, 01:36 PM
All pre 2015 Savage 10 FCP-SR were supposed to come with 20 MOA rails, right? I saw it on the website until they took down the info for the Gen 1 10 FCP-SR. I know the 2015 Gen 2 come with 0 MOA rail.

My NIB never fired 10 FCP-SR is flawless except it came with an obviously factory installed (it still had factory oil under the mounting surfaces). According to Savage the birth date of my rifle is August 3, 2012.

My rail is marked "EGW Savage SA". I removed it an measured the total height front and rear. It is exactly 11 milimeters from the bottom of the base to the top of the lugs...front and back. That is how you tell, correct? I see no evidence that this is elevated at all in the rear.

Savage absolutely, firmly maintains that ONLY the .338 Lapua has ever came with a 20 MOA rail. And they dont even stock an EGW 20 moa rail that would fit a model 10 action. Are they smoking something or are scores of owners totally wrong when they claim their 10- FCP-SR came with a 20 MOA rail?

I cant tell you how adamant Savage was that I and dozens of other owners are 100% wrong about any 20 MOA rails.

So, I am out of luck as far as getting a free replacement 20 MOA EGW rail? It seems so. Why would they do this? Not real pleased.

Maybe this is a blessing and just forces me to buy that pricey Ken Farrel FG-Force rail with huge adjustable lug. I dont like buying anything in the middle. Its either factory OEM or overkill Heavy duty. My scope does weight a ton at 33oz, so there is that. Close to $150 usd shipped is a quite a chunk of change for a rail, however. oh, well. I like overkill. There is that too.

aubie515
03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
After reading your rambling, I can tell you that EGW does offer 20MOA rails. I only buy EGW rails because they are a local company for me. If you are not satisfied with the answer from Savage...I'd ask to speak to a manager in charge of their tech support department.

I do believe that some of the new Savage rifles are coming with 20MOA EGW bases. I don't know why you think Ken Farrell bases are more heavy duty compared to EGW. EGW makes some great products at reasonable prices....they do offer more expensive rails if that makes you feel better since you want to spend a lot of money on your rail.

Not to start a fight, but your thread should be "sour grapes." Since you don't seem to like the answer you got from Savage. I would hope that employees at Savage know what parts they offered in their rifles, but there are times where the entry level CSR person isn't going to care or know enough about all of the products that are offered.

BigDave
03-17-2015, 02:40 PM
I beg your pardon. It was a rambling RANT. LOL. Hey, I just got off the phone and was upset. An hour later I got over it. One should never post a rant. Color me embarrassed. I recant!

The reality of the situation is that I presently dont even NEED a 20MOA rail since I will only be shooting to 500 yards for quite a while. no 1000 yard ranges close to me at all.
I intend to keep my 0 MOA EGW and be quite happy with it. I did ask SWFA if I needed to go with a steel rail since I the scope I bought weighs so much (33oz). They said, "no". My aluminum EGW would be just fine. So there you go.

Moral of the story: Take a deep breath and move on. Figure something out. That is exactly what I did...eventually.

teele1
03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Big Dave. Manatee Gun and Archery has a 1000 yard range. About a 3 hour drive from Lauderdale. http://www.manateegunclub.com/
FYI PBSO has a 200 yrd range open to the public once a month and occasionally a 300yd shoot
and welcome to precision long range shooting

jim

BigDave
03-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Big Dave. Manatee Gun and Archery has a 1000 yard range. About a 3 hour drive from Lauderdale. http://www.manateegunclub.com/
FYI PBSO has a 200 yrd range open to the public once a month and occasionally a 300yd shoot
and welcome to precision long range shooting

jim

Yessir! Why thank you for your words, Jim!

I did find the Manatee range online. Another member here speaks very highly of it.
For now I can use two ranges out to 500 yards. Neither one is very close. The Homestead one looks VERY expensive and IDK...I got bad vibes. The one in Okeechobee City is really far. Barely doable for me (getting old) in a one day. But doable. I get a very good vibe from these guys.

My dope is only 3.5 mils give or take at 500 yards. No reason to have a 20 MOA rail. I may get a cheap $35 20 MOA EGW anyway. I have not decided. I will not need one until I check out Manatee Club. I have to crawl before I walk.

BTW, my scope's Total Elevation Adj. Range is a paltry 19 MRAD(9.5 mils each way, right?) ...in spite of having a 30mm tube. I may have as little as 8 mils left for elevation after I mount the scope. I probably dont want to use more than half of THAT, so my "safe" limit with a 0 MOA rail may be 4 mils or less even.
I am thinking that with a cheaper scope (Falcon Menace, that I dont want to use any where near the full range of the turrets.) IDK,,,yet.

I figure I can have pretty good fun learning to be good at 500 before reaching out farther. But that is why I bought this Savage. I an hoping that the rifle and ME can shoot it at close to .5 moa. I am paying attention to tuning tricks. I am pretty sure my mind set is up to be meticulous about my form and trigger control.
I am willing to practice until I am in the groove. Right now, the rifle likely can out shoot my skills. I intend to merge those at some point.

As much as I THINK I know, I am take every opportunity to train under a good instructor. When you find some one REALLY good you know it right away. I am hoping the range in Okee has some good guy. I actually have every confidence that they do. It is a very cool part of the state as opposed to Homestead which I find a bit creepy.

WPB is much closer. I need to shoot there too. I plan on a trip to Stokeys in WBP. The owner there can give me the low down on things up there too.
I am seriously looking at a B&C. No, i simply can NOT afford a Mickey or a Manners. The $275 B&C will be a stretch. I have spent way more than the cost of my rifle for periphery items ($$Ammo ..all new .30 caliber cleaning stuff, scope mounting stuff, Tipton Best Gun Vise and So much more "stuff"...dont get me started.)

So sorry for the long post. I have a ton going on right now. Getting things on paper help put things into perspective for me.

WinnieTheBoom
04-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I have a Nightforce 20 MOA base for 110 LAs if you're interested... But the only reason I have it is because I swapped it out for the Ken Farrell 20 MOA base hahaha. The HD isn't needed unless you're shooting a boom stick - the regular one was fine for my .300 mag and Vortex 6-24 Viper PST. Also their rings are second to none - absolutely beautiful and worth the $166 if you're in the market.