PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Sunshine State

BigDave
03-16-2015, 12:54 AM
Age 58 from Fort Lauderdale.

I can build an AR 15 in my sleep from the smallest spring and roll pin. I mean great performing AR's. I know every tiny part by heart. I can painstakingly fit Ghost disconnectors and hand polish Glock internals, change out every internal piece!

I am a total newbie in Long Range Precision Rifle There is so MUCH to learn. Forget about the complicated ballistics...just the massive amount of support equipment you need for precision rifle is a bit overwhelming. I have never ever owned a bolt gun or any kind of rifle caliber larger than .223. I have never shot over 100 yards. That is all going to change.

I have looked into this for almost 2 years. I have studied, read, watch a lot of YouTube (Tibasousrus Rex in particular). So I am a GREAT long range shooter in my own mind. LOL. I have never fired a shot over 100 yards. I believe I have the patience and willingness to learn how to totally shift gears from my CQB rapid fire training with AR15's and 9mm.

LRPR seems like a total mediation and great for those of us who have OCD tendencies. I really want to do this. I have done the "run and gun" thing for a while now. I want to expand my skill set to a totally different pace and discipline.

I have it mostly under control as far as getting started. It has taken me many months just to pick and find a gun! I am talking about the large amount of work to be done before even the first shot is fired.

It's not a good thing when you are particular and fussy like me AND on a tight budget. I want to immediately improve and modify what I buy. I just can't affords to do that, so I thought a great gun I could live with and modify later is a Savage. Remington just didnt appeal to me. Especially when everyone told me to get a Remington. Maverick that I am, I ignored them and studied Savage..and liked what I saw.

At first I wanted a 10 FCP-K. Then I was 100% set on a Savage 10 FCP-SR (in .308). I pursued used versions because they are discontinued. Oh, I am well aware of the new 600 dollar plastic double stack magazine version. I want NO part of that, thank you.

I finally found a 2013 never fired .308 Savage 10 FCP-SR in TN for $800. I just picked it up from my FFL. It is exactly as it was advertised. 100% Cherry. See my initial impressions and unboxing in the 110 section.

This is my first Long Range Precision Rifle which I gravitated to since I am pretty OCD guy. The whole concept of LRPR seems both OCD and Zen at the same time. It seems like a mediation for guys who can do math. I am fascinated with Ballistics. I have been studying them for over a year and finally am getting a grasp.

Tibasours Rex on YouTube goes into great detail how to do calculations the old fashion way with a Hewlett Packard Scientific Calculator, wet bulb thermometer and SO many tables, work sheets etc. I understand it, but, dayum, all those exel spread sheets. Sorry, it started to look more like pain than fun.

I found something that really helped my understanding of ballistics. It looks like something I want to actually use. I bought the full version for 10 measly dollars and have played (not yet shot) with it quite a bit. See my initial impressions of the SHOOTER app for Android smart phones in the Range Report section. There is no section/sub forum labeled "Ballistics".

My Unboxing, disassembly, and initial impressions of my NIB 2013 10 FCP-SR

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42872-My-2013-NIB-10-FCP-SR

SHOOTER APP for Android:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42873-quot-SHOOTER-quot-Android-Ballistics-APP&p=310668#post310668

(http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42873-quot-SHOOTER-quot-Android-Ballistics-APP&p=310668#post310668)

Hotolds442
03-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Welcome!

BigDave
03-16-2015, 02:44 AM
Welcome!
Thank you so much Hotolds. See a very cool find of mine on Range Reports. The SHOOTER Ballistic app for Android phones.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42873-quot-SHOOTER-quot-Android-Ballistics-APP&p=310668#post310668

drybean
03-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Welcome aboard

BigDave
03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Welcome aboard
Thanks drybean. I see you are very active here. I will look for your posts/threads. Us ARRP guys gotta stick together!

yobuck
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Hi big Dave, im just up the road in Vero Beach. All those programs you mention are about like women.
They need tweeking, and some need it more than others. Somtimes they need tweeking several times each day.
In that regard they are like the weather, and even because of the weather. You will never figure it out Big Dave
but there are lots of books nowdays that can teach you. lol

BigDave
03-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Hi big Dave, im just up the road in Vero Beach. All those programs you mention are about like women.
They need tweeking, and some need it more than others. Somtimes they need tweeking several times each day.
In that regard they are like the weather, and even because of the weather. You will never figure it out Big Dave
but there are lots of books nowdays that can teach you. lol

More studying. I was afraid of that. I have a book list. sigh. Can you shoot anywhere over 500 yards? The closest 1000 yard range is an overnight trip to the West Coast of FL.

yobuck
03-16-2015, 04:08 PM
In the 15 +years ive been in FL ive not fired a single round here Big Dave. I spend much of my time in the mountainous
area of PA and thats where i shoot/hunt. Theres one thing you can be absolutly sure of, what worked today might get you close tomorrow.
Anyway id reccomend aceing the 500 yds first.

Rick_W
03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Welcome

BigDave
03-16-2015, 08:31 PM
In the 15 +years ive been in FL ive not fired a single round here Big Dave. I spend much of my time in the mountainous
area of PA and thats where i shoot/hunt. Theres one thing you can be absolutly sure of, what worked today might get you close tomorrow.
Anyway id reccomend aceing the 500 yds first.

No kidding? I am from SE PA. I know Poconos area a little. I know central PA a bit since I went to Penn State decades ago.

Welcome

Glad to be here Rick_W.

ragsflh
03-17-2015, 07:18 AM
howdy

tufrthnails
03-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Welcome if you haven't been to the Manatee Gun Club Range (I am assuming that is the 1000 yrd range you referred to) you should definitely get down there. Lots of great people down there. I have been a few times. It is about an hour and twenty minute drive for me.

BigDave
03-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Welcome if you haven't been to the Manatee Gun Club Range (I am assuming that is the 1000 yrd range you referred to) you should definitely get down there. Lots of great people down there. I have been a few times. It is about an hour and twenty minute drive for me.

Yes, yes! That is the one! Thank you.
Please PM me. I would love to hear about it. I need to hone my skills locally first. The max around where I am is 500yds. Neither one of those (two) ranges are close to me in Fort Lauderdale. Homestead is a long drive and has very high fees.

..Or, Okeechobee City which sounds much much more user friendly. They seem to have some very neat stuff going on there. I have high hopes for that range. That is practically an overnight trip or a VERY long day of driving and shooting.

Let's face it. The best access to long range shooing is out West..Utah, Wyoming etc. Tons of public lands with ZERO fees! BYOT. Bring Your Own Targets.

PM me please. Let's talk. Dave