PDA

View Full Version : Savage hoghunter

bowhunter-57
03-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone hope someone can help,I'm new to the site but have a problem,took my gun to the range with some new Hornady Superformance 223 cal,and some Federals and found that the gun shoots the Federals fine but when I try some of the Hornady's the pin hits the primer but no shot,it did it 6 times,I even tried to shot the same bullets twice and still nothing,the gun is new,notified Hornady but no reply,at $31+tax it's a hard pill to swallow.
thanks

Mach2
03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Does the firing pin make a nice dimple in the primer on both brands? Compare them. If yes then I wouldn't look much further. It's the ammo.

However if both primers look like the dimple is shallow then it could be improper firing pin protusion.
Usually at a range you can find somebody else with a .223 that you could get to test the ammo in another gun. If their gun fires the ammo then you have a FP issue.

If you've had this gun a while and this hasn't happened before then don't waste your time trying to find an answer. It's the ammo

bowhunter-57
03-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply,the gun is new I've only had it for a few weeks and only put 20 round thru it,if it is the FP problem is it an easy fix or does it have to go to a shop?

Mach2
03-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Do the tests to determine all you can.
Let somebody test your ammo in their gun. That is where I'd start. Why try fixing a gun that isn't broken?
Walk in any gun store with a indoor range and let someone shoot your questionable ammo.

Ive never taken a gun to a gunsmith. Ive sent guns back to the manufacturer several times with brand new guns. Yours is new. Send it back. Try calling Savage 1st. I sent one new gun back twice(S&W). I don't work on new guns. I may look for obvious issues though. What if you call Savage and they say they have other buyers who had trouble with the same ammo. See?

You sound new to gun issues so Im not sure what to tell you. Bolts can be tough to work on if you haven't worked on them before. Savage customer service knows how to talk to new shooters so pick up that telephone and let them do their stuff. I think they have a Canadian repair hub too. Go to their web site for the tel No,. When you call have your seriel number ready.

bowhunter-57
03-16-2015, 08:39 AM
thank you will do that.