PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 for build questions--new guy here

cole4570
03-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Hello, I have been browsing the forum for some time now. I am going to build a 6.5x55 for long range. I have 2 of the M96 swedes and I know the modern pressures aren't good for these awesome mil rifles. I found a 110 in 3006 used. The guy said it is a closed bottom (hidden magazine) and the first part of the SN is F0983xx. Am I correct in assuming this is pre accu trigger and accustock? Also, can I put different bottom metal on this when I build to have an external mag. Thanks in advance, I am looking forward to building this thing!! --Cole

thomae
03-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Is it a center-feed action or staggered feed action?
I built a centerfeed 6.5 Swede. Swapped out the barrel from a 30-06 and the cartridges fit just fine in the magazine.

Changing a staggerfeed to a DBM is difficult. For a centerfeed rifle, all you need is the bottom for the magazine, as well as the magazine surround frame and to make sure the stock is inletted for the surround.

bootsmcguire
03-15-2015, 12:39 AM
I am willing to bet that with F0983XX as your serial number you will most likely have a Staggerfeed action. Yes it will be most definitely pre-Accustock and should be pre-Accutrigger unless someone converted it.

As thomae said, changing to a modern style DBM with factory parts will be a bit of a challenge but can be done with a bit of machine work. IIRC there is a aftermarket option for the SF long actions, but I am not up on that myself. just remember reading something on it around here once upon a time.

Good chambering choice, and good luck with your build.

cole4570
03-15-2015, 03:12 AM
It is a staggerfeed blind magazine. So, that is attached to action correct. Can I put DBM and bottom metal on it when I rebuild it into the 6.5 or am I stuck loading from the top?-- I am in the process of talking the owner into selling the rifle for less than 300.00 I'm hoping I can convert to DBM for my build. thanks Cole

SparkyLB
03-15-2015, 04:13 AM
You are correct that staggerfeed is attached to the action. As far as conversion to DBM, I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in. My SN is similar to yours, (F371XXX) and I have the staggerfeed, pre-accutrigger model. I'm about to tune my trigger with the available adjustment screws, and from what I understand, one can obtain a decent solid trigger from the pre-accutrigger variant. You could always go aftermarket i.e. Rifle Basix or others. Good luck with your build.

FWIW, I went from 338 WinMag to 270 Win, and the existing magazine works wonderfully. I'm not planning on changing it.

E.T.A.

I've tuned my pre-accutrigger and I'm thrilled with the result. I've got the creep down to near zero, release is very crisp, and the pull is probably less than 2 lbs. To top it off, it's safe and solid. Jarring and dropping on the butt doesn't cause trigger break. VERY happy.

cole4570
03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
sorry for all the new guy questions... I should clarify, I am not going to keep the furniture, I will be putting this build into a different stock. So, from my research am I correct in saying that I CAN put a DBM on this build, or should I spend the extra money and look for a centerfeed magazine? Thanks Cole

GaCop
03-17-2015, 08:48 AM
sorry for all the new guy questions... I should clarify, I am not going to keep the furniture, I will be putting this build into a different stock. So, from my research am I correct in saying that I CAN put a DBM on this build, or should I spend the extra money and look for a centerfeed magazine? Thanks Cole If your he!! bent on wanting a DBM, I would opt out of the stagger feed action and look for a newer centerfeed. Much less headache and cost.