PDA

View Full Version : Savage #2 in .223 recommendations

zeenon
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Folks,

I currently have a 10FP in .308 with a Nikon 6-24x50 scope and LOVE it. I'd like to pick up another Savage in .223 but can't figure out which one would best suit my needs.

- Current max range is 200 yards
- I reload .223 for AR15 so hence the .223
- Only used for punching paper off a bull bag
- Looking for lower recoil.
- Accu trigger is a plus

I was thinking of the 11FXP3 with the Simmons scope. Any suggestions?

Z

dcloco
05-10-2010, 11:06 PM
If you are not carrying the rifle...how about a 12FV.

Or...build what you want?

Buy an action, barrel, trigger, and stock that you like....

Would highly recommend not swapping brass between your AR and another rifle.

Keep my seperate by headstamp.

King Ghidora
05-11-2010, 01:24 AM
I bought a 12 LRPV in .223 for long distance paper punching. I've already seen it do very well at 400 yards (for me and I'm not practiced at that distance but it shot so flat that it was a joy to operate). I hope to work my skills up to be able to do some competition at that distance and possibly 600 yards. The rifle can certainly do it's part if I can do mine. Considering that Savage just broke some world records with the R/TR I figure to be competitive in some factory rifle class shooting competitions. I hope so anyway. This will be my entry level rifle into long range shooting so I have much to learn. But from all I've read the long range precision varmint rifles can compete even with the custom rifles. They're well worth the price of admission IMO. I don't expect to set the world on fire but I might do well at my club.

rjtfroggy
05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Why not get a twin, 10fp in 223.
That is what I did I even restocked them alike with pepper laminate thumbhole stocks,and both wear 20x SS scopes. They shoot sub moa @200.