PDA

View Full Version : Grills/smokers

Rick_W
03-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Went and looked at a Primo ceramic grill (http://www.primogrill.com/index.php/products/grills) today (actually looked at a couple). They are very similar to the Big Green Egg ceramic grills.

Does anyone have experience with these grills?

How about sharing your experiences, likes & dislikes.

What size do you have and are you happy with it?

I want a smoker/grill that's going to last and not have to be replaced every other year.

EFBell
03-13-2015, 08:37 PM
Rick I bought a 7 in 1 bullet style propane smoker from cabelas some 10 maybe 12 years ago (before that I had a basic brinkman that lasted maybe 5 years????) It does everything i need it to do and it gets a lot of use. It's still going strong. The one I got is Stainless. I dont see it offered anymore but they do still have it in powder coated steel. the only thing I had to replace was the wood chip "dish" that lasted maybe 8 years, this dish also can be used with charcoal if desired. i like propane and hickory for most of what I make. I can do up to 4 pork shoulders in mine. i have cooked 15 pound range turkeys in it both "Cued" and cured and smoked. First thing to do is toss out the thermometer and spend some money on a good 3 or 4 " dial thermometer that you can actually count on and can read FROM A DISTANCE. as any real barbecue aficionado will tell you temperature stability is pretty much everything. You can get that with this unit for a whole lot less money. If you have the cash to spend for a green egg style unit go for it. I would still recommend propane regardless due to ability to dial in the temperature even in cold weather. I know some guys that bought electric ones and cannot keep the temperature up to safe range in cold weather. I would not mind having an Egg style or knockoff the next time i find myself in the market. Buit they are pricey and wont do anything a steel bullet smoker wont do in my humble opinion.

Regards, Ed B.

http://tinyurl.com/pqmulh9

EFBell
03-13-2015, 08:40 PM
oh, did I mention I use the base to do southern boils, make home brewed beer and also wicked good fish and chips and buckets full of wings and fries???

SparkyLB
03-16-2015, 08:53 PM
I have a Visions Kamado grill/smoker. It's a bit spendy, but the ability to regulate heat is amazing. I can smoke baby backs for 13 hours at 225 degrees without more than 5 degrees variation. (It doesn't take more than 6 hours, but it'll hold temps for half a day). There's a vent on the top and bottom, and once you get used to the settings, you can hold it as low as 175 or screamin' hot for ribeyes at nearly 750 degrees with the vents wide open. The lid and base each have a heat resistant felt gasket that effectively makes the unit airtight when closed. When you're done cooking, you shut the vents. The fire is extinguished so completely, you have unused charcoal in the unit for the next time you fire it up. Home Depot sells them on their website. They're cheaper than the Big Green Egg. Same concept. Great grill, worth every penny.

I really can't report any dislikes.

My likes are the high quality, solid ceramic construction (weighs almost 300 lbs.), ability to hold a steady temperature, and very easy to clean and maintain. There's a "drawer" that holds the electric starter (sold separately for about $13), the lower vents, and ashes. It slides out and you empty it. Very simple, very clean, durable. Best quality grill I've ever owned. Bought it last June and have used it 50 times or more.