PDA

View Full Version : New guy. Axis questions

megsdad
03-13-2015, 01:00 AM
Hi Guys . I'm new here, got a few questions. I'm looking to get a .223 bolt gun to use strictly as a range toy. Im thinking Axis ii Xp. and upgrade scope and stock as needed. But im now wondering if going Axis heavy barrel would be a better choice. Will the Axis ii barrel be ok for range work? it seems some say it would heat up too quickly. My normal range routine is to only fire one five shot group per 10 minute session, maybe two.
so..... what say you. Axis ii or heavy barrel ?
Thanks

upSLIDEdown
03-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Personally, I'd go for a heavy barrel. I have an Axis 308 I started out with, and a 6.5 Creed built from an Axis that I rebarreled. The Creed is a bull barrel, and I'm getting ready to rebarrel the 308 to something a little heavier. It shoots great, but it will start stringing shots a lot faster than something a little heavier.

DrThunder88
03-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Sporter barrels do heat up pretty quickly, but if you've got the time to take your time, they'll still be good performers. One other benefit to a HB is that barrel might end up going for a higher price on the resale market if you decide to upgrade later.

I'm not a fan of the XPs, but when I have bought Axises, I've been buying project platforms rather than completed rifles. I can see how they'd be a good choice for someone who needs a gun ready to go out of the box.

wyo85
03-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Go with the Axis heavy barrel 223 , you won't be sorry !

Rosco
03-14-2015, 11:03 AM
And don't forget they have the $50 rebate as well.

pisgah
03-14-2015, 02:32 PM
One shot every 2 minutes will barely warm the barrel enough to knock the frost off. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the two frankly, so go with whichever you want.