PDA

View Full Version : Praie Hunter, Classic, or American 14 stock

romad97
03-12-2015, 06:35 PM
I can't decide on what stock I want for my current build. I am putting together a 223 ackley. I have a 22 inch CBI heavy sporter barrel that will be going on it. It will also be wearing a hinged floor plate. The three stocks I like the most, strickly based on looks since I have never seen or handled them in person are the Boyds Praie Hunter, Classic, or American 14 stock. This stock will mostly be my coyote rifle if that makes a difference at all in which of these three stocks might be a better choice.

stomp442
03-12-2015, 06:51 PM
The American classic stock is beautiful but will probably cost double what a boyds will. I really like the prairie hunter stocks they seem to fit me real well with a smaller wrist and I like the raised cheek piece. I have a 25-06 that I built that I put a 114 classic stock on and it breaks my heart every time it gets even the slightest scratch from a hunting trip.

romad97
03-12-2015, 07:36 PM
I agree with you that the prarie hunter looks really nice, I have never seen it in person though. The 14 American is actually the cheapest of the three though through numrich once I have the boyds stippled or checkerd. This will be a carry rifle though so if the american classic stock is as nice as you say it would drive me nuts to take it out and ding it up so the boyds option is sounding more appealing.

stomp442
03-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Yeah I didn't know you were adding the checkering to church up the Boyds. If the classic stock really is cheaper I guess you can't really go wrong. I just hate dinging up a beautiful piece of wood but I hate plastic so I guess I better get over it.