PDA

View Full Version : What set up is used to true a svage bolt face?

Uncle H
03-12-2015, 12:01 PM
How is or what setup is used to true a Savage bolt face. is just the bolt face set up in a fixture,lathe etc. or is it done with a mandrel and fixture mounted in the reciever threads etc. ????

Thanks Harold

Robinhood
03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
My original post is irrelevant. I thought he was asking about truing the action face because I cant read.

I use a collet chuck to cut the face and the rear of the lugs.

Bigeclipse
03-12-2015, 06:06 PM
How is or what setup is used to true a Savage bolt face. is just the bolt face set up in a fixture,lathe etc. or is it done with a mandrel and fixture mounted in the reciever threads etc. ????

Thanks Harold

Not trying to sway you from truing your bolt face but really not necessary due to savage having a floating bolt face unless this is a competition build or 1000 yard hunting rig. Have you tried shooting it to see how accurate it is as is? Just my opinion.

Robinhood
03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
My post is irrelevant. I thought he was asking about truing the action face because I cant read.

mattri
03-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Hopefully sharpshooter will chime in on this.

BillPa
03-12-2015, 07:16 PM
How is or what setup is used to true a Savage bolt face. is just the bolt face set up in a fixture,lathe etc.

Thanks Harold

There isn't much involved or needs to be done. I chuck and indicate on the shaft then take a "light" cut across the face just enough to remove any dishing and or any chamfer on the edge of the firing pin hole. change to a right hand bit and square the junction between the shaft and lugs for clearance to relocate the baffle washer between the baffle and lugs.

On occasion I'll check if the lugs are square to the shaft but usually its waste of time.

Bill

RatMag
03-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Bill,

What benefit do you get out of relocating the baffle washer?? I have never tried this, nor have I heard of it before. News to me, but very interested. Thanks!!

DK

geargrinder
03-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Bill,

What benefit do you get out of relocating the baffle washer?? I have never tried this, nor have I heard of it before. News to me, but very interested. Thanks!!

DK

It keeps the front baffle from wiping the grease of the lugs before they can get to the abutments.

RatMag
03-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Ahhhh, aiighty then. That makes sense. I never even thought about that.

DK