PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and Rewelding an Action

klr
03-11-2015, 08:55 PM
This is a technical question. It is directed towards those with experience who like to tinker and experiment. It is not practical in terms of time, money, or end result – unless your end result is that you like working in your shop and creating something unique; which I do.

Here goes;

I recently picked up a H&R Handi rifle in 300 Blackout. It's short, light, and I can push a 170 gr cast bullet at 1900 fps with a mild report and small charge of pistol powder. Nice.

Now I want one in a bolt – and I want it as small, short, and light as possible. I have a Model 11, but would like a shorter action.

Cheap is good too so I'm looking at an Axis. But that long action just won't do.

So now I'm wondering what it would take to cut/shorten and reweld the receiver to a length that matches the short 300 BO round. The bolt/mag/stock would also have to be modified to match.

The plan is to remove a section out of the center port area and stitch weld the receiver back together slowly to avoid warping and heating the front of the receiver. It seems like there is plenty of metal on that tubular receiver so I don't think strength would be an issue with a good weld.

I know in the past Savages only came in long actions so surely someone cut one down for a short round or a pistol cartridge?

Tips for cutting down the bolt/firing pin/spring?

Anyone have any experience? Any pitfalls to avoid? I read a thread where a guy shortened a 98 Mauser for 45 ACP. At the end he couldn't find a short fp spring with enough travel to make it work. That's the kind of thing I want to avoid.

Yes, I know I could wind up with a couple hundred dollars of scrap...or a small, short, light rifle I built myself a piece at a time.

Any technical advice?

Thanks.

GaCop
03-12-2015, 06:59 AM
I can't offer any advice but am interested in your project and hearing what other members have to say.

sharpshooter
03-13-2015, 12:49 AM
You sound rather ambitious, but with all the inherent feeding and ejection problems associated with the 300 black out, it wouldn't be a simple cut and weld deal... it would be a total re-engineering job. You would be better off rebarreling a model 25. It is suited better for those small cases. Better yet....buy a Mossberg MVP in .300 BLK and spend your time shooting instead of afro engineering.:p

klr
03-13-2015, 06:27 AM
You sound rather ambitious, but with all the inherent feeding and ejection problems associated with the 300 black out, it wouldn't be a simple cut and weld deal... it would be a total re-engineering job. You would be better off rebarreling a model 25. It is suited better for those small cases. Better yet....buy a Mossberg MVP in .300 BLK and spend your time shooting instead of afro engineering.:p

Good point about the short BO case feeding/ejection problems. I'm also considering leaving the 223 full length and just necking up. They both fit AR mags so the action would be the same length.

Model 25 - Big difference in cutting up a $150 action and a $500 action. Even idiots have their limits. ;-)

MVP - I'd rather have the Ruger American, but this isn't about shooting. It's about enjoying shop time and experimenting.

sharpshooter
03-13-2015, 07:34 PM
If that's the case, I wouldn't cut up anything. I'd start from scratch and build something that suits your criteria, bypassing all downfalls engineered into existing actions.