PDA

View Full Version : Let's see if I have this right... Long action options

mckenziedrums
03-11-2015, 08:28 PM
So it seems that us crazy people doing builds with long actions are pretty limited... (Btw Hi... I'm Tim... Long time lurker, new poster.. yada yada) On a whim I decided to grab a beat up Stevens 200 long action and build a 30-06 target rifle. I've been slacking off the past couple weeks and it looks like my barrel will be here Monday and I am without a stock. Got everything else I need to put it together I think but missing kind of a key component.

Talked to Kevin at Stockade and they're about 6 months out... Don't mind ordering one since they make good stuff but I need something to get me by. It looks like Choate is really the only option out there for an aluminum bedded stock that isn't a full chassis. I've toyed with the idea of another chassis (my 12lrp is in a Mcree at the moment) but I'm not sure if I want to go that route with this one or not.

B&C seems to only make one LA stock that's for hunting rifles...
Boyds doesn't have the bedding block so for my purposes I'm not considering it (yes I know... I can glass bed it)

So am I missing an obvious option? My short actions are much easier to buy for... but why buy a 308 when a 30-06 can do everything it can do but better? :thumb:

KRP
03-11-2015, 11:27 PM
John Whidden makes an aluminum v-block for the Savage, put it in any stock you want.

barrel-nut
03-12-2015, 03:30 AM
A Boyd's laminate bedded with Devcon will work as well or better than most aluminum bedded stocks, in my opinion. Oh, and welcome to the forum

GaCop
03-12-2015, 06:51 AM
It's hard to beat the Choate Tactical. I used one for my build and the rifle is dead nutz accurate.

mckenziedrums
03-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Let's just say I like having the aluminum reinforcement. You're right, you can bed a laminate within an inch of its life but I've had great luck with aluminum bedding blocks. Whidden is an option but not sure I have the bandwidth to get that in one right now. I suppose I could go with the Choate as a temporary fix until I can get a Stockade. Heck I may like it but they've always seemed a little cheap to me.

SICARIO
03-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Have you considered HS? I have one for my long action and have been happy with it

mckenziedrums
03-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Have you considered HS? I have one for my long action and have been happy with it

Do they even make a center feed long action stock? If so I haven't seen it....

BoilerUP
03-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Do they even make a center feed long action stock? If so I haven't seen it....

Yes, it is the model that comes on the 110 FCP HS Precision...don't know the SKU, sorry.

D.ID
03-13-2015, 08:43 PM
It's hard to beat the Choate Tactical. I used one for my build and the rifle is dead nutz accurate.

^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^