PDA

View Full Version : Axis magazine disassembly?

rick3
03-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Several users here have fabricated their own extended Axis mags, and there are some good tips in the posts about doing that.

But one thing I haven't seen is how to disassemble the original Axis mags, so that you can then attach the additional mag "box" to the original. How are people doing that? I've been examining my Axis mag to do some "fiddling" of this type, but I can't see an easy way to remove that plastic base (that has the latch attached)....have you just been carefully prying it off, or is there a certain place that you have to press/pry/twist/etc. to get it off in one piece?

rick3

Hotolds442
03-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Squeeze the metal part near the plastic bottom together in the center by hand, and it'll seperate from the base one side at a time.

rick3
03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Squeeze the metal part near the plastic bottom together in the center by hand, and it'll seperate from the base one side at a time.

Wow, just tried that...excellent! Glad I didn't try prying it off and end up breaking it.
Thanks!

RatMag
03-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Those little tabs are not your friends. They will break really easy. But if you do, they are cheap to replace anyways.

DK

rick3
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Those little tabs are not your friends. They will break really easy. But if you do, they are cheap to replace anyways.

DK

RatMag,
As usual, you come thru with good info again.

Because of your comment, I've been assuming that the baseplate with the tabs is a part I can order from Savage...but I'm not having much luck finding anything about it. One comment another member here made said that the SKU was 107951 and that Savage has them listed as "MAG BOTTOM PLASTIC (SHORT)".

Unfortunately, using the PartFinder with my rifle's serial number, I never see that part listed. I do see this:
------------------------
FRONT BASE, BLK, MAT, SHORT - PN:103312
$4.00
-----------------------

I don't see anything with "MAG BOTTOM PLASTIC (SHORT)".
Do you know if the "FRONT BASE, BLK, MAT..." is the same part? I'm thinking that they updated their parts database, and someone entered "MAT" instead of "MAG", but that may just be wishful thinking.

Rick3

Hotolds442
03-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Part number 107951:
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/Rifles/f1b4c48a63470cb1d9b8407278852324_zps3604cbab.jpg

Crappy ipad2 quality photo.

The part number you list is an older part number, hence the lower SKU number. Savage may have redesigned the Axis mag bottom, who knows. All I know is that this one works, in both the Axis and Trophy Hunter, and was the part number given for my Trophy Hunter in 300 WSM. If you're still confused, order the one your schematic lists.

rick3
03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Part number 107951:

The part number you list is an older part number, hence the lower SKU number. Savage may have redesigned the Axis mag bottom, who knows. All I know is that this one works, in both the Axis and Trophy Hunter, and was the part number given for my Trophy Hunter in 300 WSM. If you're still confused, order the one your schematic lists.

Well, that's the problem, I can't order anything other than what my serial number brings up, and it doesn't bring up the 107951 item, and the schematic doesn't show anything for the mag other than the whole mag.

I'm going to call Savage CS later today and see if I can order a couple of these proper pieces this way.

Hotolds442
03-17-2015, 02:00 PM
When you call Savage CS, use serial #H743895

The schematic doesn't show the Axis style tab, but that's what's on that rifle. I have ordered several bottom plates using that part number and they've all been correct.

rick3
03-17-2015, 02:49 PM
When you call Savage CS, use serial #H743895

The schematic doesn't show the Axis style tab, but that's what's on that rifle. I have ordered several bottom plates using that part number and they've all been correct.

Ha! Terrific! I called several times, but kept getting the message that, "we're receiving an unusual call volume" each time, so I went back online. I used that serial number, got the schematic, chose the mag base plate and ordered it online. Thank You!