PDA

View Full Version : CBI 260 Match & Loading in an AI or AW Mag

capreppy
03-09-2015, 10:56 AM
For those of you in the know: I have a CBI 260 with the Match Throat. I am unable to load to the lands and fit within an AW mag. Obviously if I can't fit in an AW mag, it will not fit in an AI mag since the AW can load longer.

Question: Is the CBI 260 Match single load only with the 140 Amax at the lands?

If so, I'm planning to send my rifle to my smith and have him cut off an inch at the chamber end and reream with a standard 260 reamer that will allow me to load the 140 Amax at the lands and still fit in an AI mag (have 2 and kinda upsets me that I can't even use them). My accuracy with such a large jump (to be able to fit in an AW mag) isn't great. I'd like to tighten the groups quite a bit and loading to the lands seems to be one of several answers. Quite a few folks on other forums are loading to the lands and have great accuracy with Fed 210M/CCI BR and H4350.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

LoneWolf
03-09-2015, 11:08 AM
This is the exact reason guys that want to run AI/AW mags go to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Only other option besides what you have already mentioned is to run it on a Savage Long Action or get it set back and rechambered based off of a dummy round that you put together at mag length.

capreppy
03-09-2015, 12:09 PM
This is the exact reason guys that want to run AI/AW mags go to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Only other option besides what you have already mentioned is to run it on a Savage Long Action or get it set back and rechambered based off of a dummy round that you put together at mag length.

I'm heavily invested in the 260 Rem, but you bring up a good point. I may have him rechamber in 6.5 CM. What are your thoughts on a 260AI with no freebore. My smith has this on his shelf and could do a quick turnaround.

LoneWolf
03-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I don't have any experience with the 260AI personally, But you would probably waste a portion of the gained capacity due to having to seat the bullets the long bullets to deep in the case to take full advantage of them.

capreppy
03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Yeah, at this point, I think I'm leaning towards the 6.5CM.

LoneWolf
03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
You could always run the 120-130gr Pills. They are still very accurate, but you would still probably need shorter distance to the lands.

capreppy
03-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Problem is I have 1500 140 Amax and 1000 Sierra 142 SMk sitting on my shelves. Like I said, heavily invested in 260 and the components for it :(

LoneWolf
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Understand, I went to 243 and still have a heavy stock of 140gr 6.5's. will probably do a Creedmoor at some point if I don't put them up for resale. I've been digging the 6mm.

jonbearman
03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
All your smith has to do is use a throating reamer to give you ebough room to seat the bullets where you want them.

capreppy
03-10-2015, 02:22 PM
All your smith has to do is use a throating reamer to give you ebough room to seat the bullets where you want them.

I think I want out of 260 Rem. By seating lower, I might run into pressure issues and I frankly just don't want to deal with it. I know the 6.5CM can handle the 140 AMAX and the 142 SMK fine at mag length. I'll sell of what I have in the 260 (brass and dies) and that'll offset what I put into the 6.5CM. I was already going to send the rifle to my smith to have it recoated in a different color and he's only charging me $250 to cut / rechamber / reindex the brake. I have a few other local shooting buddies that run the 6.5CM so I won't be alone in this cartridge which I was with the 260.

I've already purchased 400 pieces of brass and Redding dies. My smith has a 6.5CM reamer in hand and I'm taking my rifle over to him later this week.

Hotolds442
03-10-2015, 04:08 PM
With your buddies all shooting the Creed, that's probably a wise choice. It's always nice to share load development data at the bench where you can see real life results. I think you'll be a lot happier with the Creed all around.