PDA

View Full Version : Magnetospeed chronographs

Hotolds442
03-08-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm in the market for a chrono, and this appears to be where I'm headed. Anyone using one? I'd be interested to hear your comments if you have one, likes, dislikes.......
At this point in time I really don't want to hear about other makes/models.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-08-2015, 02:36 PM
From what I hear from the folks that are using them, they seem to be #1. Only problem mentioned is reading speeds on the "smaller" bullits like the 20s and 17s. Painting the bullets with a ink marker seems to correct some of those problems.

BoilerUP
03-08-2015, 07:54 PM
I have a V2, works great although you do have to fuss with it a bit the first time on each rifle to figure out the ideal setup...if the bayonet is too far below the bore (and it don't take too much below...) then you will get low velocities.

I went to the Magnetospeed from a ProChrono Digital because I was getting to many errant readings because of sun & shadows and have been happy with the investment.

NW Hunter
03-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Dan, just used mine again last Thursday. It always has given me readings. I do a powder ladder to find my max charge. Then I shoot for groups without the unit on my barrel as it throws my groups 10 inches higher with harmonics changed on the barrel. I have heard others say their barrels still group with the Magnetospeed attached. I have not tried on my rifle yet. I figure once I find load that groups near my desired speed, I will shoot groups with it on to get my extreme spread for velocity.

It all boils down to one extra step over a traditional chronograph with screens, but I was really tired of taking half a day to drive up to my shooting spot to get velocity readings and ending up with squat because of error codes on most shots.

Magnetospeed is made for us NorthWesters

Hotolds442
03-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Randy,
I had a birthday discount with Midway that knocked $50 off the price of the V3. I went ahead and ordered it. While shooting today I realized that it wasn't doing me a lot of good without it. I kinda got spoiled using yours last month.

NW Hunter
03-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Happy Birthday Dan! Good gift to yourself. Isn't it funny how we always buy ourselves our own best gifts?!

JASmith
03-08-2015, 11:27 PM
I use the magnetospeed on both 20 and 6.5 cal. One needs to set the threshold lower to get readings with the lighter bullets, but one gets consistent readings after that.

Yes, the point of impact changes, and the groups are different, but the extra step mentioned by NW Hunter gets the fun of more trigger time!

Hotolds442
03-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Happy Birthday Dan! Good gift to yourself. Isn't it funny how we always buy ourselves our own best gifts?!
Boy, isn't that the truth!

missed
03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
I am waiting for the lab radar to be out I'm on the fence between the magneto speed and the lab radar.

Hotolds442
03-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah Jake, I read the info on the lab radar when it came out on the LRH pre-availability sale. I didn't want to wait and had already used a Magnetospeed so I was already familiar with it. I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner.

missed
03-17-2015, 02:31 PM
The only thing that is holding me back on the magneto speed, is I would like to be able to use it with pistols. Hopefully the lr is everything is been built up to be.