View Full Version : stock quest.

acemisser
03-07-2015, 07:32 PM
if there is such a thing as an around stock for prone
bench and just shooting what would it be...For savage
of course...Any ideas..Thanks...:stung:

LoneWolf
03-07-2015, 07:55 PM
I like the Chassis systems that are out there because of how adaptable they are. XLR Industries has a couple options that will support a Savage action. They have 5 Stock Options and you can put any style AR15 grip you prefer. Also can attach a Bipod for prone/bench or a bench plate in order to ride the rest. The are very adaptable to the shooter and shooting styles. Plus NO BEDDING REQUIRED! I don't even like my manners stock much now that I've started to shoot with the Element Chassis.

One thing to understand though if you decide to make a switch to a chassis system is that they will highlight when your fundamentals aren't in check. Standard stocks allow a little more slop in your shooting from my experience, but a Chassis will force you to be a better shooter! The more I run it the less I see a reason to use anything else.

D.ID
03-09-2015, 01:17 AM
No doubt the chassis is a versatile platform.
If the chassis is not what your after: the tactical stocks in the A5's profile offer a nice position for prone, bench and freehand.

GaCop
03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
I like the Chassis systems that are out there because of how adaptable they are. XLR Industries has a couple options that will support a Savage action. They have 5 Stock Options and you can put any style AR15 grip you prefer. Also can attach a Bipod for prone/bench or a bench plate in order to ride the rest. The are very adaptable to the shooter and shooting styles. Plus NO BEDDING REQUIRED! I don't even like my manners stock much now that I've started to shoot with the Element Chassis.

One thing to understand though if you decide to make a switch to a chassis system is that they will highlight when your fundamentals aren't in check. Standard stocks allow a little more slop in your shooting from my experience, but a Chassis will force you to be a better shooter! The more I run it the less I see a reason to use anything else. Good information, thanks!

92stroker
03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
No doubt the chassis is a versatile platform.
If the chassis is not what your after: the tactical stocks in the A5's profile offer a nice position for prone, bench and freehand.

This.

I really like the chassis systems from MDT, and they make one for my action (111 dbm), but they are spendy. They drew me in with the LSS @ $450, but once you add all the furniture, it really stacks up. McMillan territory pricing, even for the LSS, the Tac21 is around $800 for the chassis, before furniture!

jonbearman
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Take a look at the HS Precision offerings as they more affordable and the bobby hart stocks that stockys sells.

Gary8907
03-14-2015, 02:34 AM

One thing to understand though if you decide to make a switch to a chassis system is that they will highlight when your fundamentals aren't in check. Standard stocks allow a little more slop in your shooting from my experience, but a Chassis will force you to be a better shooter! The more I run it the less I see a reason to use anything else.

Can you give a more detailed explanation as to why the chassis will show deficiencies in shooting technique ? I'm presently considering an Accurate-Mag, chassis system and I'm trying to gain as much knowledge about this type of stock that I can. Thanks, Gary

LoneWolf
03-14-2015, 02:48 AM
I was using a Manner s T2A and it just seemed I could be a little sloppier with my fundamentals . With the Chassis you notice for sure when something is out of wack because you'll see you're shots reacting to a flaw in your shooting position. At the same time as I get more used to it I feel I'm focusing more on building solid positions and doing so more quickly. The manners stock is still and awesome stock, but the Chassis has become much more comfortable to shoot in various/improvised positions.

Gary8907
03-14-2015, 03:32 AM
LoneWolf, thanks for your reply. The build I'm doing will be using a 20" 6.8SPC barrel, and even though 99% of my shooting will be 200 yards, or less, the chassis is going to be my choice. I understand your comments about building solid shooting positions, and if this type of stock will help me to concentrate on doing the same thing, and the same way every time then it will be worth the price.

Newsshooter
03-16-2015, 02:09 PM
If you're going to look at chassis give the Mcree stocks a look too. Best buy on the market imo. I've got two, one folder and one non folder. I bought both used for about $400. No extra bottom metal purchase either, takes AICS style magazines.

LoneWolf
03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
I shot a buddies setup in a MCree Chassis. It's very similar to the XLR Element. I like the adjustability offered by the XLR Element and it's use of the AR15 tube on the rear. buttstock option are very important if you have trouble fitting a rifle to yourself. Being 6'5" I needed all the adjustment I could get to fit the rifle to me.

Newsshooter
03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Mcree's have similar adjustments as well as the option to use AR tubes and stocks on the rear.

mattri
03-27-2015, 06:55 PM
How are the chassis offhand?

LoneWolf
03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Takes a little bit of getting used to, but similar to an M16A2 with a heavy barrel

Newsshooter
03-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Depends on the chassis I suppose, I don't have any issue with mine, though I've thought about making a hand stop for positional stages. I'm also shooting with a 26 in bull barrel so it's a bit nose heavy.