PDA

View Full Version : Any HVAC / Plumbing heating guys on here?

Pages : 1 [2]

EFBell
03-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Rex, what I was doing was preheating the water going into the domestic water coil. Not storing hot water coming out. The theory was that it provides warmer water going in and requires less work on the part of the boiler also making it easier for the boiler to keep up when demand is higher. obviously it is only in relation to the quantity of water available from the water heater acting as a preheater. I have a deep well and my water comes out quite cold. my boiler is a tankless domestic water heater. The base board heat water is a separate circuit entirely.

Stockrex
04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Sorry for the delay, I saw Roger at our club meeting last night.
Ed, I am sorry, I misread your post, Roger thought it was domestic water heater too initially.
Lol,
Anyway, the verdict, you don't need the electric preheater, just use the New York by itself to heat your water, you will save money.
He pointed out that just keeping up with the preventative maintenance will yield many years of use.

yobuck
04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Not sure about now, but at one time New Yorker boilers were made at a place on rt 309 in Colmar PA.
We used lots of them in the houses we built in that area.

EFBell
04-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Not sure about now, but at one time New Yorker boilers were made at a place on rt 309 in Colmar PA.
We used lots of them in the houses we built in that area.

Yes they were. I knew several welders over the years that put some time in there. They still have a Hatfield PA address but I dont know where there at now. As far as I know that place has been vacant for years.

EFBell
04-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the delay, I saw Roger at our club meeting last night.
Ed, I am sorry, I misread your post, Roger thought it was domestic water heater too initially.
Lol,
Anyway, the verdict, you don't need the electric preheater, just use the New York by itself to heat your water, you will save money.
He pointed out that just keeping up with the preventative maintenance will yield many years of use.

Thanks, thats what I'm going to do for now. When you see him next ask him about the "Boiler Mate" system. That is a tank system with a coil inside that gets heated by boiler water. It looks interesting but I dont much about them.

Thanks

Stockrex
04-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Will do,

langenc
04-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Yes it stands to reason my electric bill will go down. And my gas bill will go up. I don't watch them close enough to tell. And with the winter we had here this year both utilities are through the roof.

But around here electric is more costly than gas-btu to btu.

Boiler mates are excellent. We installed on 4 heating seasons ago. Much less storage loss of but from boiler mate than w/ reg water heater. Not cheap. Google em and see what they say.