PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: MATCH CHAMBER ON A BTVS?

tomcat220t
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Hi guys ,as most of yes know i had problems with mt btvs not shooting very well .Got all that sorted now, but find im stuck to one brand of ammo >:( .Has anyone had their factory barrel match chambered ,and if so any results?I am getting mine done in the coming weeks and would like some feed back before hand .Thanks ,tomcat.

Eric in NC
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
What exactly are you getting done? Having the chamber end cut back and rechambered?

What kind of "match" chamber are you getting cut?

Be sure your smith isn't taking you for a ride by just polishing or re-throating.

You can't have a match chamber "done" w/o moving the barrel back so that the reamer cuts into fresh metal.

I would be more concerned about my crown etc. than a chamber on a new rifle

82boy
09-15-2009, 10:12 AM
On the rimfires, the barrels are pinned in not threaded. A match chamber for a rimfire is different than whats considered match for a centerfire rifle. Obviously you cant neck turn a rimfire. many people have match chambers cut into rimfire barrels, it is a special reamer. My understanding of it is the reamer cuts the chamber so that the bullet will be seated into the lands, and the barrel is head spaced for a certain rim thickness. I would say that this would defiantly lock you into a one brand of ammo.

With the roughness of a factory Savage, and the amount of work needed to complete this work, if I was to go to that trouble I think I would consider a match grade barrel. If you don't mind me asking what does you smith charge for this work? I can not say I have ever heard of anyone doing this work to a Savage. Please let us know how it does, I have been curious as to what it would do.

Eric in NC
09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
My understanding of it is the reamer cuts the chamber so that the bullet will be seated into the lands, and the barrel is head spaced for a certain rim thickness. I would say that this would defiantly lock you into a one brand of ammo.

You are correct - and you can't do it w/o moving the barrel back (no way to "shorten the throat" w/o setting the barrel back).

Lots of folks do this with factory Ruger 10/22 barrels because it is easy to set them back. Pretty hard to do with a Savage rimfire.

82boy
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Something else comes to mind, have you considered a "tuner?" The problem with the match chamber is the cost of the work will never be recouped from the gun if it don't work or you was to sell it. A tuner on the other hand can be removed and you can recoup say 75% of your cost, if it don't work, or you decide to sell the rifle. A tuner could very well fix your problem, and may be a better option.

tomcat220t
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
What exactly are you getting done? Having the chamber end cut back and rechambered?

What kind of "match" chamber are you getting cut?

Be sure your smith isn't taking you for a ride by just polishing or re-throating.

You can't have a match chamber "done" w/o moving the barrel back so that the reamer cuts into fresh metal.

I would be more concerned about my crown etc. than a chamber on a new rifle
It has been recrowned and bedded with great results .My smith is talking about taking an inch off the barrel and rechambering it .At the minute it shoots less than half inch and some times ragged hole at 70 yards(5 shot groups) .Problem is it only does this with cci sub. HP ammo .Any other brands are all over the spot .(3-5 inchs at 50 ) >:(.If the savage shoots that well with budget hunting ammo then i think the bedding and crown is working very well .I hope by pushing the gun that bit futher and getting a match chamber cut it would improve even more with quality ammo .

tomcat220t
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
On the rimfires, the barrels are pinned in not threaded. A match chamber for a rimfire is different than whats considered match for a centerfire rifle. Obviously you cant neck turn a rimfire. many people have match chambers cut into rimfire barrels, it is a special reamer. My understanding of it is the reamer cuts the chamber so that the bullet will be seated into the lands, and the barrel is head spaced for a certain rim thickness. I would say that this would defiantly lock you into a one brand of ammo.

With the roughness of a factory Savage, and the amount of work needed to complete this work, if I was to go to that trouble I think I would consider a match grade barrel. If you don't mind me asking what does you smith charge for this work? I can not say I have ever heard of anyone doing this work to a Savage. Please let us know how it does, I have been curious as to what it would do.
My smith knows my savage has cost a lot of money to fix ,so he offered to rechamber the gun for very little money .He is curious to see the improvments if any,by rechambering it aswell.

tomcat220t
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Something else comes to mind, have you considered a "tuner?" The problem with the match chamber is the cost of the work will never be recouped from the gun if it don't work or you was to sell it. A tuner on the other hand can be removed and you can recoup say 75% of your cost, if it don't work, or you decide to sell the rifle. A tuner could very well fix your problem, and may be a better option.
A tuner would prob. help tighten my groups on the cci sub.hp.Could not see it helping my 3 inch groups .Thanks for all your suggestions .

varmitbuster
09-18-2009, 12:25 PM
i have a match chamber cut in one. they do have to cut a inch or so off the barrel. any rimfire with a good match chamber in it will put te bullet into the lands. you should be able to see grooves cut into the tip of the bullet. it will help, but your not ganna get a match rifle out of a savage. they have no turn locking lug besides the bolt handle. a tuner might help you out some, but a better barrel like a shilens or benchmark might help even more. a better action would be the place i would start because you are going to have as much in this rifle as you could have picked up a used match rifle ready to go for, and been way ahead. after i did my savage i stepped on up to the big leagues and better actions. suhls(entire rifle with a 16 3/4 twist barrel),turbo actions, and hall actions is were i would start out if i was you. go ahead and skip 52s,54s and 40xs. go ahead and get a big boy if you entend to do the best you can do.

tomcat220t
09-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your replay ,bud.I know that my BTVS wont be a top bench .22lr ,but want to make the best of what i got for now.How much of a difference did a match chamber make to your .22? What groups were you getting before and after?My aim is to have an accurate rabbit gun and do a little paper shooting .I know the savage action is a little weak at best ,but for hunting it should do fine .Thanks ,tomcat.

varmitbuster
09-18-2009, 10:52 PM
on average in the real world i can get .3's on average with it at 50 yards. not much better than my factory rifle, but a little better.