PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog, New Trigger

SparkyLB
03-06-2015, 05:56 PM
My build is finished (is it ever. . .. ?) from 338 WinMag to 270 Win. This is on an older, LH, LA flat back receiver 116 in stainless. It seems to be a shooter, which makes me very happy. I got 1.19" groups at 100 yds. with factory ammo. I'm still waiting for dies, before I begin load development. The trigger is horrendously stiff with a lot of creep. I was able to find a good thread on adjusting a few facets of the trigger, but I'm considering replacing the old trigger with an accutrigger.

I'd like some opinions, please. I realize that some milling of the receiver is necessary; but I don't know to what extent, or degree of difficulty. Can this be done with hand files and patience? I'm no machinist, but I know my way around shaping steel fairly well.

What does this all entail? What should I expect? Is it advisable to attempt to swap out an old trigger for an accutrigger, or should I just attempt to tune the trigger I have and call it good?

olddav
03-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I know this does not answer any of your questions but why not replace the factory trigger with an aftermarket trigger?

SparkyLB
03-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Thanks, olddav. This is why I post questions. I never thought to search for aftermarket triggers for my old Savage. Once I read you post and then searched, I found the Rifle Basix, and I'm sure there are a few others. I also happened upon an excellent You Tube video that identifies all the adjustment screws and their purpose. I have the side trigger spring with the 4-cutout adjustment screw for minor trigger weight adjustment. Perhaps I'll tune the trigger overtravel, pull weight, and sear engagement screws and see if I can find an acceptable, somewhat crisp pull with the trigger I have.

jonbearman
03-07-2015, 01:36 AM
According to a fella on here , a accu trigger has never been successfully been adapted to an older savage. Rifle basix or an SSS trigger is the way to go as far as drop in's go.

SparkyLB
03-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the info. SSS has definitely done me right in the std. bolt face they sold me. LH, LA, and they opened up the firing pin hole to accommodate my older large-body firing pin. I'll look into it.

Bigeclipse
03-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks, olddav. This is why I post questions. I never thought to search for aftermarket triggers for my old Savage. Once I read you post and then searched, I found the Rifle Basix, and I'm sure there are a few others. I also happened upon an excellent You Tube video that identifies all the adjustment screws and their purpose. I have the side trigger spring with the 4-cutout adjustment screw for minor trigger weight adjustment. Perhaps I'll tune the trigger overtravel, pull weight, and sear engagement screws and see if I can find an acceptable, somewhat crisp pull with the trigger I have.

My old flatback has a really decent trigger after some fine adjustments. It is right around 3lbs with just a touch of little creap. Honestly I was going to buy an aftermarket trigger but for my needs it is great. This is a hunting rifle 7mm mag that I shoot out to 500 yards. If I was contemplating further I'd get an after market trigger but honestly don't feel it's worth the extra 100 bucks right now. Have you tried an adjustments on the old trigger? If you do and you find a good setting....make sure to slam the bolt home a couple times....drop the rifle on the floor on the butt of the stock with the rifle cocked...etc to ensure safety. With mine...I have yet to have any kind of safety issues and I have shot this thing a lot and it's been on several hunts in deep woods.

olddav
03-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Bigeclipse makes a good point. I tuned a factory trigger to around 2 pounds and it is quite nice.

SparkyLB
03-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have not touched the trigger yet to adjust. I'll definitely give this a shot before ordering aftermarket. My needs are for hunting only, not long range or target competitions. I was just thinking that if I got near MOA results with factory ammo and this clunky heavy trigger, if I replaced it (or just tune it) it'll be a much better shooter. I got ya on the post adjustment safety checks.

Thanks guys.

LHitchcox
03-08-2015, 03:00 PM
If your trigger has the sear adjustment screw, you can tune it into a nice trigger. If is is the 2 screw trigger, you can make it decent with just a change of the trigger wire to a wire of approximately .040.

Bowguy
03-15-2015, 10:32 PM
Timney will solve your trigger issues.

SparkyLB
03-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, all. I did a bit of research and tuned the sear engagement screw, and weight of pull screw. I have no gauge, but the trigger is probably about 2 pounds, and has no discernible pretravel or creep. I wish I looked this up when the gun was new. Well--it's new now!! :)

Also, I jarred the gun sharply (unloaded, of course) with the heel of my hand on the left side, and right; and allowed the rubber recoil pad to hit the floor hard enough to simulate a drop, and the trigger held fast (no safety).