PDA

View Full Version : .300 Savage cases from .308 brass. Anybody done it?

scottrborn
03-06-2015, 05:44 PM
What a rabbit trail I've been on. I've had difficulty finding .300 Savage brass and most of the places that used to sell it have the item marked "Out of Stock, No Backorder" - which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who still shoots the cartridge. I have heard that it can be made by running the .308 through a forming die, trimming it, then running it through a full length sizing die etc. etc. I started shopping around and I found a Redding #83151 Form & Trim die, series B - .300 Savage. I also ordered 100 new Hornady .308 brass cases. Bear with me.

Not knowing exactly how to set up the forming die to get the shoulder moved to the proper position, I called Redding and asked about it. They informed me that the die I bought was NOT a form die, it was a trim die that was unfortunately marked wrong and it wouldn't do anything but trim.

Then I asked the tech from Reddiing about just running the .308 brass through a full length .300 sizing die and trimming it to length. I have read several instances of people doing this and it working. The guy a retting said he'd never heard of such a thing, that he didn't think it would work, that I should always buy factory brass for the cartridge I want to reload and not bother with forming other cases, etc etc ad nauseum.

SO, my question to the forum folks is - has anybody here formed .300 savage brass using nothing more than a full length sizing die? I'm rather frustrated and I probably posted this in the wrong forum....anyways folks HELP?????

Hotolds442
03-06-2015, 06:21 PM
This doesn't exactly pertain to your question, but there's some brass available here: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3868198.0 it might save you some trouble for a while.

GaCop
03-09-2015, 08:57 AM
This doesn't exactly pertain to your question, but there's some brass available here: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3868198.0 it might save you some trouble for a while. Good price for that brass!

stomp442
03-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Yep piece of cake to form from .308 to .300 Savage. Just run them through the full length die and your done. I have made hundreds of .250 Savage cases the same way sizing down to .300 then down to .250, not hard at all.

jonbearman
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Seeing as you are necking down .308 is there a thickness problem with the necks when they are formed. In another words do you have to turn them or not?

stomp442
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Yes I turn them.