PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 17 HMR barrel swap

handirifle
03-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Has anyone ever swapped a 17 HMR barrel onto a '93? I actually prefer my WMR overall, BUT there is an area that I feel the HMR bullets would ricochet less since the are more frangible than the WMR solid slugs. Was wondering if anyone had ever swapped barrels around on these? I know it's not like the 110's but seems it would be doable.

GaCop
03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
I was under the impression that the barrels are pressed in and pinned? Am I wrong on this?

Kilroy
03-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I was under the impression that the barrels are pressed in and pinned? Am I wrong on this?

That is correct. There are a few threads over on RimfireCentral about people using modified Ruger barrels.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241110

Boudin
03-06-2015, 03:17 PM
For what it would cost to do that, you could just go get a new rifle in 17HMR. Just don't let your wife see both at the same time, and she will never know the difference...lol

J.Baker
03-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Assuming you are talking about a factory take-off type barrel and since one can't set the headspace as needed I would say no. Reason being is that like a Remington 700 the rimfire barrel and bolts are kind of a matched set, and given production tolerances I wouldn't want to recommend swapping bolts between rimfires either. As cheap as these guns are - especially used, you can just go buy one for about what you'd have in an aftermarket barrel.