PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 getting fancied up

TheBearCub
03-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum. I just finished my Mega Arms AR10 build, and figured its time to give some attention to my 300 win mag 111. Non-AccuTrigger, and I bought this in 2011 I believe. MAYBE 2012 if that makes a difference. I got it as a package deal, but destroyed the scope after a couple boxes due to the recoil, so Im in the process of replacing EVERYTHING. Rails, mount, and optics. I have the optic (SWFA 3-9x42) and mount (SWFA S.S.A.U.L.T.) picked out already, but looking into the rails.. I know I want the 20 MOA base, but the question is, round or flat back? Sorry for the low quality pics, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out the difference. Before anyone says it, yes I know the safety is off.. I fixed that after the pics were taken. Thanks! http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q773/Matticusd1/IMG_20150304_221701787_zpsr4rrk5xj.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/Matticusd1/media/IMG_20150304_221701787_zpsr4rrk5xj.jpg.html)http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q773/Matticusd1/IMG_20150304_221718043_zpsemtwvy4e.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/Matticusd1/media/IMG_20150304_221718043_zpsemtwvy4e.jpg.html)

sharpshooter
03-05-2015, 12:53 AM
It's obviously a round back.

Hotolds442
03-05-2015, 01:13 AM
Yup

TheBearCub
03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Before I order anything, I want to make sure http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Extended-Multi-Slot-Base-Savage/dp/B0049IWVN8/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t this is the right rail. Theres not much of a description, and I’m still kind of new to the Savage platform. Sorry for the basic questions! Ill be sure to post pics once I get everything mounted and off to the range.

Stickler
03-05-2015, 05:11 PM
I would seriously consider the EGW HD series base fabricated from 7075 instead of the 6061 "aircraft" aluminum.

Bearguide444
03-05-2015, 05:38 PM
I went with a steel rail and not the aluminum I think its a EGW but cant remember so long ago.

TheBearCub
03-05-2015, 07:16 PM
I was looking at the EGW lineup. They seemed to be a little more expensive. Is it worth it to have the lower profile rails vs the weavers? EGW is sold out of the standard model rails, along with almost everyone else.

Model12BVSS
03-05-2015, 11:23 PM
I would go with a warne tactical steel 20 MOA base if you're wanting to go with a one piece set up. You'll want the added strength with something that recoils like the 300 Win. Much cheaper than EGW's steel mounts too if I'm not mistaken. Nothing wrong with two piece bases either if it's just a practical hunting rifle. Also I would seriously reconsider going with that swfa ssalt mount/ring set up. That's designed for a flat top AR, not a bolt gun. It's going to mount the scope way too high. You're mounting a base with rings, on top of another base, essentially. Just a base and rings are all you should need. That's my opinion tho. It's your gun obviously, do what makes sense to you.

TheBearCub
03-06-2015, 12:37 AM
I would go with a warne tactical steel 20 MOA base if you're wanting to go with a one piece set up. You'll want the added strength with something that recoils like the 300 Win. Much cheaper than EGW's steel mounts too if I'm not mistaken. Nothing wrong with two piece bases either if it's just a practical hunting rifle. Also I would seriously reconsider going with that swfa ssalt mount/ring set up. That's designed for a flat top AR, not a bolt gun. It's going to mount the scope way too high. You're mounting a base with rings, on top of another base, essentially. Just a base and rings are all you should need. That's my opinion tho. It's your gun obviously, do what makes sense to you.
Well I’m here to get opinions and advice! What you’re saying makes sense. I originally bought the SWFA for the AR10, so I can save the mount for the AR10 and just buy rings to go with the rail for the savage. Im not sure if the Warne will fit though. I have a 111 round back non accutrigger, and that isn’t on the list. I’ll email Warne and check. Are there any rings that are tougher than the rest?

jonbearman
03-06-2015, 01:54 AM
How far do you intend to shoot the rifle? If you are not shooting over 500 yds you don't really need a base that is that offset. One of the best things you could do is replace the plastic stock unless you already have.

TheBearCub
03-06-2015, 05:00 AM
Yea, I do plan on shooting 500+. As far as the stock goes, no I haven’t replaced it. I figured I would start with the scope rings and mount, since I already had the scope, and work my way down the list.

92stroker
03-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Yea, I do plan on shooting 500+. As far as the stock goes, no I haven’t replaced it. I figured I would start with the scope rings and mount, since I already had the scope, and work my way down the list.

Hey man. I have the exact same rifle. 111 .300wm non accu-trigger, plastic stock. Package gun that came with a Bushnell 3-9 x 40. I got one of the EGW 20MOA bases from Tactical Works for $40. I had to buy a set of rings to get a little more scope elevation. I have a 15" LOP and I couldn't slide the scope back far enough for proper eye relief, as the scope base was interfering with the objective lens. I didn't want to spend much on a set of 1" rings, knowing that I would be upgrading to a 30mm tube down the road, but I was worried about recoil. Well, I ordered a set of UTG 6 bolt rings from Amazon for dirt cheap, maybe $18. Set everything up, and shot a .642" group zeroing at 100 yards with the cheapest factory ammo I could get my hands on. I have about 120 rounds through the rifle now, and the zero hasn't changed, other than changing ammo. The EGW base is a bit soft (I got the AL one), and is marred where I installed the rings, but that could just be from me over-tightening them.

That's probably more info than you need, hope it helps.

TheBearCub
03-06-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm trying to get all the info I can about this, and have slowly began to narrow down what parts I'm going to buy. Definitely going with a steel base, and I've been trying not to break the bank on rings, so the Burris rings are looking pretty good. Thanks for all the input! Why should I change the stock, jonbearman?

92stroker
03-06-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm trying to get all the info I can about this, and have slowly began to narrow down what parts I'm going to buy. Definitely going with a steel base, and I've been trying not to break the bank on rings, so the Burris rings are looking pretty good. Thanks for all the input! Why should I change the stock, jonbearman?

The factory plastic stock is garbage, unless it's an accustock model, which I don't think it is. Mine isn't. ANY amount of tension/pressure on the fore-end will cause the stock to flex and contact the floated barrel, throwing off your POI. I first noticed it putting tension on my sling to help support standing/kneeling/sitting position shooting. It wasn't as big a deal at that point because I was mostly shooting at the range off a bag. Well, I just recently installed a Harris bipod, and the flex is so bad that I can see the stock move any time I touch the grip. Checked for proper torque and everything was good. The hollow fore-end being supported at the farthest point from the action screw just twists like a noodle.

TheBearCub
03-08-2015, 12:47 PM
So, since Im not going with the SWFA mount, I have been looking all over at rings, and ring height. I see where some people say the seekins precision low rings will work with a 42mm objective lens. From the center of the mount, to the top of rail, its .82”, and from the center of the objective lens, to the top of rail its .826”. Can anyone give some insight as to if this will fit or not? If I go with the Burris Signature Zee rings, Ill have to go extra high at 1”, and that just seems too high to me. I just need some rings.. haha. Help!