PDA

View Full Version : Ok, PLEASE excuse me for my ignorance, concerning a 308 AI

n4ue
03-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I have a LOT of Savage rifles. Believe it or not, I have 12 Axis models............ I have 4 of the "HB" models that shoot fantasatic. The calibers are :
300 AAC, 223 AI HB, 22-250 AI HB, and A 243 Win AI HB. I built the 300 AAC with a customer Skinner bbl.
I also have 8 other Axis rifles. Can you tell I love''em?????? I have a machine shop and do all of my bbl and rechambering work. It is SO easy........
I even built my own wildcat. It's a 204 Ruger expapded to .224 and reamed out the body taper and shoulder angle of a long .221 Fireball (40 degree).
Why? I'm retired, have a great shop, lots of time and private ranges,,,,,,Plus a bunch of new "take off bbls" to play with.

OK here's my question..... The only HB Axis I don't have is the HB Axis in 308.

I cannot leave ANYTHING alone! If I were to buy the Axis HB in 308, I would want to immediately rechamber it into 308 Win AI. PT&G has the reamer.

Therein lies the problem..... Not much out there on a 308 AI. However it would be fun.

My employer / best buddy bought a Barrett M107A1 .50 BMG just "because". Yes, he has that kind of money.
This week,I told him a new Springfield Armory M1A (the one with the Archangle stock)would be just perfect to fill in the voids in his gun collection.

He's not a gun guy and has no clue how his safes are being filled.....I have 'cart blanche' to buy any and all ammo I feel needed. How's 1,000 rounds of 50 bmg AT $6 A POP?????

Sorry to get off track. I know the chamber reamers are available, just never heard much about the 308 Win AI.........
Any help

ron

ha ha

LoneWolf
03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
The research I did a year or 2 back showed that due to the diameter of the 308 very little is to be gained by going with an AI shoulder. Therefore most aren't willing to pay the piper for a minute performance increase. But if you can do it yourself, let us know how it works out!

n4ue
03-05-2015, 06:39 PM
LoneWolf, thank you for the reply. I was surprised with the lack of 'hits' when I went searching. Not much interest, thanks for your answer.
I have three 7-08s, two rifles and an XP-100. The 7-08 AI seems to be popular.
I was only interested because Savage makes an Axis HB in 308. I have the other 3 HBs, and love 'em.

No need to punish myself!
Our Barrett M107A1 (50 BMG) is plenty of 'fun'.... ha ha

ron

GaCop
03-12-2015, 07:18 AM
If you decide to do a 308AI, I'd like to see what kind of performance increase you'd get over a standard 308 Win.

ranger56528
03-17-2015, 04:45 AM
I just looked at a Sprinfield M1A with the Archangle stock,they wanted 1649.00 for it. After shouldering it a few times I desided I need to go back to the gym for a bit,talk about front heavy but it is sexy in a weird kinda way,put a nice Harris bipod on it and it would be a nice 600 yard weapon IMO.