PDA

View Full Version : model 11 300wsm

lungbuster1121
03-04-2015, 08:24 PM
hey guys new to the forum ! haveing some trouble with my model 11 in 300wsm in new never fired got it a few months ago took it right from the store to a gun smith to have some things done (new boyds stock ,glass bed aluminium pillars, and muzzlebreak ) finally got it back reloaded some rounds and went to the range when i close the bolt its really had and there what looks like rifeing on the bullet so i thought i had them seated to long book calls of 2.86 over all lenght thats what the first run was .. i kepted trying im all the way down to 2.70 and still haveing the same problem any ideas :confused:

Hotolds442
03-04-2015, 08:40 PM
A couple of ideas:
1. Keep going. Your rifle may have a throat that's too short for someone else's suggested overall length. You may need to learn about ogive length and how to determine the proper seating depth for your particular rifle.
2. Try to close the bolt on some of your resized brass to see if it's being resized enough to actually fit in your chamber. If the brass was fired from another rifle, or your gunsmith tightened up the headspace some when he did the muzzle brake, your brass may now be too long to fit the chamber properly. Make sure the sizing die makes contact with the shellholder on the upstroke the first time you size your used brass on a reset headspace. If the bolt closes with ease, go to 3.
3. Make sure your seating die is not screwed down tight enough to crimp the bullets during the seating process. If set too low, the seater may be deforming the shoulder of the rounds making chambering difficult.

lungbuster1121
03-04-2015, 09:11 PM
ok with no brass and with brass with no bullet bolt closes the same... talked to the gun smith he said het got the headspace specs from savage and set them to that .. all brass was fired out of another rifle looking at the brass i can some dents in the brass that was not there before loading in to the gunIMG_1006.JPG

Hotolds442
03-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Loosen the front action screw a couple of turns and see if the bolt travels a little smoother to the closed position. It's possible the bolt is too long and is making contact with the bolt head

EFBell
03-06-2015, 06:57 PM
With rifling showing on the bullets your either too long on your length or too tight on your headspace. I usually run around 2.825 to 2.885 oal with no issues on a factory set barrel so it sounds like a headspace issue to me.

Robinhood
03-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Yep bump the shoulder back a few thousands and try again. Repeat one more time and try again.

earl39
03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Size your brass a little more as Robin said but if you are getting rifling marks on the bullets all you can do is seat the bullet shorter or have the barrel throated longer.

limige
03-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Im confused.
New brass with no bullet. Does it close easily or hard?

Very important fact.
If new brass won't close easily its a headspace issue.

If brass is fine but bullet is not then use a black marker and paint the bullet. Try to chamber it then remove it and examine.
If you see grooves with spaces your hitting the rifling. If you have solid contact all the way around the bullet you have a tight throat from a worn reamer. There's been a hand full of these popping up lately

jonbearman
03-10-2015, 12:27 AM
I sincerely hope your gunsmith set the headspace with a go gage and not with a piece of brass.Do you have a go gage and if you don't buy one at midway, brownells or forster. Something sounds really wrong here.