PDA

View Full Version : Using a front rest for load testing. Need advice

MS50
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I will be testing loads for three rifles when the weather clears up. I intend to use a Caldwell Rock and rear bag. I understand that there are better rests out there, but I will use the Caldwell. I have developed loads using sandbags and bipods (both on a bench and on the ground). I want to improve consistency between shots as much as possible. Two of the loads are intended for longer range target, one is a varmint load for 300yds max. Is there a reference out there that will provide guidance on how to use a front rest and rear bag? Rest position on the fore stock, cheek position, hand position, etc. I think I want the rifle to slide straight back consistently. I would appreciate advice on this, or direction to another thread. Thanks.

243LPR
03-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I say whatever way the rifle will be used is how you do load development. If it's a varmint rig and you'll be hunting off a bipod then sight in on a bipod. I've shot some tiny groups at 200 yds off a cement top bench and a bipod. My 2¢

yobuck
03-03-2015, 08:48 PM
How the rifle slides after the shot depends on the configuration of the stock.
Benchrest stocks will be flat on the bottom of both ends allowing them to ride straight back on the bags.
Chances are your stock isnt designed that way and if not you will be realligning after each shot.
There will always be a certain ammount of aligning anyway in most cases. It's best to just let the forend
lay on the front bag and keep your non trigger hand on the rear bag to make fine tune adjustments.
A rabbit ear bag is best for that purpose.

Model12BVSS
03-04-2015, 12:08 AM
When you're doing load development, accuracy testing, and/or zeroing the goal is to eliminate as much human input and/or error as possible. Using the Caldwell front rest and rear bag should do just that. You want to test the rifle and your handloads, not you. My two cents are I never use a bipod until after the load has been worked up, verified and zeroed. Bipods tend to jump around with recoil unless they're loaded properly and consistently every time. Is it possible to do off a bipod and shoot tiny ass groups? Absolutely, but you want to give yourself, the rifle, and the ammunition every advantage possible. Consistency between shots mean you do the same thing every time and shoot from your natural point of aim with the least mount of muscle tension possible. Also If you plan to use the rifle in the prone position, shoot in the prone, if it's more of a bench rifle, shoot from the bench. You will probly notice a POI shift moving from different positions. It's important to know this and account for it if you'll be using multiple different positions in the field.

GaCop
03-04-2015, 11:55 AM
When using the Caldwell, be sure your front rest bag fits close to the contour of your stock.

Texas10
03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Any advice about how to set up a Caldwell rest set? Mine came filled with corn cob, and the rear rest is so light it's of almost no use.

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, but just thought the question fits well with the conversation.

Stockrex
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
For load testing at any distance where you really don't need the rifle return to battery, you can use couple of a phone books.
how about couple of pieces of 2x4 and a piece of berber carpet will work fine, just use a rear bag to acquire POA quickly.

what is the table at your range made of? wood? concrete?
just attach front rest to the table with a nail or screw, if you need to.

sharpshooter
03-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Any advice about how to set up a Caldwell rest set? Mine came filled with corn cob, and the rear rest is so light it's of almost no use.

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, but just thought the question fits well with the conversation.

First thing I'd do is empty the bags of the corn cob, kitty litter or whatever they come with and fill them with sand. I learned long ago by a distinguished bench rest shooter that "sand gobbles up mistakes".

MS50
03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using a Mod 10, Mod12FCV, and a Rem700, so I can see that the fore stock won't slide straight back. I just want to incorporate more shot to shot consistency than I probably get with the bipod. Once I find the loads I want, I'll go to the bipod for zeroing. You're right, the front and rear Caldwell bags leave a lot to be desired but they'll do for the short term. I thought they were pretty light. I have another rabbit ear rear bag with a suede cover that I'll use. It's a lot heavier. The tables I use are well made, very stable wood shooting tables. I'm grateful the ranges I use have them, but they're one size fits nobody. I can usually sit on pads or boards to improve alignment, but it's never quite as comfortable as I'd like. I'm hoping the front rest and rear bag will make the time spent at the table a little more comfortable, and provide a little consistency. Thanks again.

GaCop
03-09-2015, 09:00 AM
First thing I'd do is empty the bags of the corn cob, kitty litter or whatever they come with and fill them with sand. I learned long ago by a distinguished bench rest shooter that "sand gobbles up mistakes". +1! Refill the front bag on the Caldwell and your rear bag with sand. Make sure the sand is good and dry when you fill the bags.

MS50
03-09-2015, 09:20 AM
I will dump the corn cob and replace with sand. I applied a 2x4 and rubber mallet to the front bag in an attempt to shape it into a configuration that looks like the advertisements. It bounced back. Sand is the answer. Also read somewhere that filling the legs with lead will improve performance of the stand. I may get around to that at some point. For now, I'll use it at it's out- of -the-box weight. Supposed to be 48deg today. If I wear hip boots, maybe I can get started on the load development. Hmmmm

eyeman
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I agree with dumping the corn cob filling..If you want something heavier than sand, Sinclair has heavy sand which I use in my rear bag, but it would also add weight to your front rest.

MS50
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM
I searched heavy sand and read the MSDS. It's iron chromite. I've handled bags that seemed extremely heavy. I'll bet heavy sand was used. I learn something new every day. I love this forum. Thanks eyeman.

barrel-nut
03-09-2015, 10:22 PM
+1 on the heavy sand. Can't beat it. It's noticeably heavier and packs more densely than standard playground sand.

MS50
03-10-2015, 09:01 PM
I refilled the Caldwell front bag today with sand. Had to dry it out with a space heater first. I'll look into getting heavy sand. The rear bag actually has sand in it already. I'm not sure what the substance is that I drained from the front bag. It's green, extruded, odorless, and looks a lot like hamster food. Anyway, the sand makes the bag much harder and heavier. It should make a difference. Poured all day today so no chance to get out.