PDA

View Full Version : Noob here Brining home new 12 VLP

K Soze
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'm' new here. I liked my MXII so much I bought a 12 VLP in 22-250 with a Monarch Nikon Scope.

What should I do with it before taking it to the range?

How many shots should I put through it and how long should it cool down before shoting more?

Thanks for any input.

mopar440
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Clean it

i shoot 1 and clean the first 5 then shoot 5 clean the next 25 then i go to what ever the rifle needs some need more cleaning some dont usually i just get the first 30 done on the first outing i play with load while i do this

i use the old to hot to touch to hot to shoot i dont shoot matches so i never had a lot of problems with being to hot only on my AR's

82boy
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the site.
I would say just shoot it.

Depending on outside temperature, rate of fire, and few other things would dictate how many shots before I would let it cool down. I would fire it until the barrel gets warm enough that it is unconformable to lay you hand on it for a few seconds, then I would give it a cool down period.

I have never seen any proof that the shoot and clean method does anything. The main thing is to use a good one piece rod, and a guide, when cleaning. Something else to add, majority of Savage barrels shoot best when dirty, I don't clean them until the accuracy goes away.

K Soze
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks. I cleaned it before I shot it then after five just to see if it was OK. I put 60 through it today. I really like the gun and the 22-250 is amazingly flat. Shot at 50, 100 and 230. Only about an inch difference between 100 and 230 yards.