PDA

View Full Version : New Axix HS and some ramblings......

n4ue
03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I enjoy all rifles and have a special attraction to the Axis. I just picked up Axis #11. Kinda shows I like 'em, eh?
Anyway, this is a 223 HB model. I now have 4 HBs. 300 AAC (I made this one), this 223, a 243, a 22-250. I did an Ackley chamber on the last three.

I have pulled most of the BBLs and swapped them around. Retired, lots of quality time on my hands... ha ha

The reason for this posting was a tip on removing the BBLs. I use a big bench vise and a Wheeler Engineering BBL wrench. Before I discovered this tip, some of the BBLs were a bear to get off.
I picked up the rifle and disassembled it before even shooting it. That's FAITH!
I soaked the receiver / BBL nut overnight with a 50/50 mixture of Kroil / lacquer thinner. The nut came off so easy, it startled me.
Using the excellent PT&G Ackley reamer and Manson go/no go gauges, the job was a snap. I'm fortunate to have a nice lathe and set the BBL back one thread.

The trigger...... The last Axis had a trigger that broke at 7 @#$%^&* lbs..... The new rifle broke at 5 lbs exactly, on my Hunter spring scale. The side slop and over travel were horrible (as usual)
So, I did one of my 'one $ trigger jobs'. Now, it breaks at EXACTLY 2.5 lbs and has NO over travel. Perfect. Like breaking an icicle.

BTW. I have posted about the spring I use before. You can get them at a well stocked True Value. The OD of the spring is .250" and thus does not touch the Allen screw which replaced the Savage POS spring.
I've never done the 'ink pen' spring, but as I have tried to explain, you want a light spring that can compress over it's entire length. Otherwise, the coils that might otherwise be 'free' are not as efficient. Kinda like trimming the stock spring, which works, but does nothing for over travel.

Last thing I did was to 'web' and clearcoat the stock. Looks like a real gun now. ha ha

I hope this information might help another Savage fan.....

have fun
ron

Rosco
03-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks Ron, always learning something from your posts!! I have been removing a few barrels myself lately. Using Break Free CLP instead of Kroil/Laquer Thinner but it seems to work. Will have to give that a shot next time, as it probably less expensive.

GaCop
03-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Good info "n4ue". I'm fixin to do a re-barrel on a friend's Axis.