PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new stock!

92stroker
03-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Hey everybody!

I just picked up a nice Harris bipod for my 111 .300wm, and it really amplified the flex in the dreaded factory "tupperware" stock. It is so pronounced that the barrel touches the channel simply resting my hand on the grip. I thought about bedding the action and stiffening the fore-end... Then I learned about Boyds (thanks to this fantastic forum)!

So I guess I am mostly looking for a confirmation here. I really like the pro-varmit stock, aka tacticool... However, before I order it, I just want to get some reviews. My main concern is that I am shooting a pretty heavy recoiling cartridge, and I want to make sure this stock will hold up to the abuse. Also, how is the accuracy (I will be bedding it)?

My over-all goal for the rifle is mixed range hunting, and long range target, out to 1500 yards eventually.

Also, I have done quite a bit of research already and it seems like the stock gets a lot of good reviews, and has been used on some long range setups. Like I mentioned, just looking for some confirmation, maybe some of you have a Boyds stock under a magnum action, or shoot long range? Pictures?

Thanks for reading!

GaCop
03-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Take a look at the Choate Tactical. It has an aluminum bedding block. I built my 308 with one using a Criterion heavy varmint barrel at 28", did not glass bed it and the rifle shoots like a laser.

LongRange
03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
+2 on the choate for your 300wm.

92stroker
03-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Take a look at the Choate Tactical. It has an aluminum bedding block. I built my 308 with one using a Criterion heavy varmint barrel at 28", did not glass bed it and the rifle shoots like a laser.

+2 on the choate for your 300wm.

Funny you should mention that... I ran into the Boyds stock after searching the forum for reviews on the Choate. Problem is, I'm not seeing a Choate option for a 111 with the Detachable Box Magazine. Will a DBM action install in a stock designated for Stagger Feed, or Center Feed, by chance? Otherwise I think they only make a DBM option for the short action.

LongRange
03-03-2015, 11:11 PM
What model 111 do you have with a DBM?

yobuck
03-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Since your going to use it for long range shooting, why not just set it up as a single shot gun?
The good shooters at 1000 yd matches like Williamsport will have 10 shots off in well under one minit.
So it really isnt a disadvantage using a single feed gun for long range target/hunting.

Stickler
03-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Here's the Choate options at A.E. Brown's.
http://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactical-Savage-Stock_p_14193.html

GaCop
03-04-2015, 12:02 PM
http://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactical-Savage-Stock_p_14193.html Good price, cheaper than Choate's web site.

92stroker
03-04-2015, 01:46 PM
What model 111 do you have with a DBM?

Strangely, I'm not 100% sure. I bought it, un-fired, from a local Sheriff here in Albuquerque for $300. It is a package rifle and looks a lot like the Trophy Hunter XP, and the International Trophy Hunter XP, except that it does not have the accutrigger, it has the side bolt release, and it came with a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 instead of the Weaver of Nikon options. It is a small shank with a 22" barrel.

Since your going to use it for long range shooting, why not just set it up as a single shot gun?
The good shooters at 1000 yd matches like Williamsport will have 10 shots off in well under one minit.
So it really isnt a disadvantage using a single feed gun for long range target/hunting.

That's a good point, and if I were using it exclusively for target shooting, I would definitely consider this, and maybe even move towards the target action down the road, but being as I intend to use it for hunting, I think I'd rather have my follow up shot ready to feed if I place the first round poorly... I'm new to hunting.

http://www.eabco.net/Choate-Tactical-Savage-Stock_p_14193.html

Good price, cheaper than Choate's web site.

That is a good price, but same problem, no long action version available for the drop box mag. I wonder why that is. They seem to have everything else covered.

So let me ask this: It seems like a lot of people really like the Choate stock, but it doesn't seem to fit my application. Is there any reason NOT to get a Boyds? Boyds has a stock option for my 111 DBM in the Pro Varmit, which is a similar McMillan A5 shape, just like the Choate Tactical.

Breeze
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM
I know that the Boyds pro varmit stock is cut for varmit contour barrel ,that said a factory contour barrel will have a lot of room around it.

Hotolds442
03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
I know that the Boyds pro varmit stock is cut for varmit contour barrel ,that said a factory contour barrel will have a lot of room around it.
Not all of the Pro Varmints are cut for varmint contour barrels, the one I just got for my LH bottom bolt release Model 11 in 6.5 WSM was inletted for a sporter contour. I didn't have the option to choose the contour.

Breeze
03-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Not all of the Pro Varmints are cut for varmint contour barrels, the one I just got for my LH bottom bolt release Model 11 in 6.5 WSM was inletted for a sporter contour. I didn't have the option to choose the contour.
I stand corrected ,just looked at there sight again,must have changed , the last 2 that I got were for the varmit contour & no option for factory barrel

92stroker
03-05-2015, 07:02 PM

I stand corrected ,just looked at there sight again,must have changed , the last 2 that I got were for the varmit contour & no option for factory barrel

It's a lot easier to take material away then it is to put it back! This is pretty advantageous in my case because I will be using the factory barrel initially, but a heavier contour down the road, which I can inlet for.

So you guys have been happy with your Boyds stocks?

Hotolds442
03-05-2015, 07:21 PM
So far I'm very happy with mine. I went with a colored laminate instead of the black because there doesn't seem to be any issues with stock splitting on the colored ones. I've seen a few black ones that were cracked and split to the point of no longer being usable.

92stroker
03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
So far I'm very happy with mine. I went with a colored laminate instead of the black because there doesn't seem to be any issues with stock splitting on the colored ones. I've seen a few black ones that were cracked and split to the point of no longer being usable.

Really.... That is interesting. I had intended on getting the black one, but was considering the pepper.