PDA

View Full Version : Conversion 308 F/TR to WSM

trg-s338
03-01-2015, 05:36 AM
New to the forum and am getting into Savage rifles. In learning the differences between standard R port ejector Savage receivers and the single shot L port ejector F/TR type, what considerations are involved if one was to think about the possibility besides the change of the bolt head and to a large shank WSM barrel? My understanding so far is that WSM bolts have a different ejector configuration and manner of extractor engagement to the brass rim. Then it won't work in a L ejection port receiver? What is the difference in ejector activation between the two? Or am I way off base and this conversion is not even possible? This is just an exercise for my learning so please school me. Thanks in advance.

trg-s338
03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Apparently, I have some real knowledge deficit going on, I meant to understand the L port R bolt receiver, not necessarily the F/TR receiver only. Thanks.

aqua9945
03-01-2015, 07:00 AM
It IS possible to buy a PTG magnum bolt face, push feed, right eject , for a short action. I bought one from Midway, although i did not get an intelligent answer when i tried emailing ptg directly. Most of the model 12s (Palma, FTR, Fclass) are large shank, right hand bolt, right eject so this would work for you (except in the LRPV model which is right bolt , left eject. For that you would need to contact ptg )

Hotolds442
03-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Just avoid the controlled round feed bolt heads and you won't have ejector worries. When Savage went to the centerfeed magazine, the WSM's were all fitted with standard ejector and extractor parts. Savage will also sell you a bolt head, part #106190 in RH and #106660 for the LH WSM rounds.

trg-s338
03-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Just avoid the controlled round feed bolt heads and you won't have ejector worries. When Savage went to the centerfeed magazine, the WSM's were all fitted with standard ejector and extractor parts. Savage will also sell you a bolt head, part #106190 in RH and #106660 for the LH WSM rounds.

I think I see now, thanks to you gentlemen. Specific models came with the ejector blade pinned to the receiver and matched with the appropriate slotted bolt for controlled round feed. So if one were to build a L port, single shot using a 22-250 as donor, the use of a standard LH WSM bolt head # 106660 and an appropriate barrel gives me a single feed, L port WSM. No worries about ejector blade and slotted bolt head. One last question then: is the LRPV 22-250 model a large ring/barrel receiver or small?