PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11 Bolt Stuck

Unbound
02-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Trouble with my bolt release.

I got the .308 Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP. I changed out the scope and rings on it, added a tripod, and a sling. Other then that, I took it out of the stock to lighten the accutrigger once, and another time to shave a bit off the cheap factory stock with a dremel because it was sitting a bit crooked near the front of the stock by the barrel. Close enough to touch the barrel with a little pressure. I didn't mess with anything else in there that I'm aware of.

The bolt release is the newer type that you have to pull the trigger, then the little button in front of the trigger guard, and then pull the bolt out. It's been working fine, for the most part, until yesterday. I took it out to do the Savage recommended barrel break in procedure. Obviously a lot of cleaning involved with doing that so I was taking the bolt out often. Part way through it just stopped working. I would pull the button and trigger back and the button would just stop before coming out. I could cycle the bolt and fire and the button would pop back forward. Whenever I tried to pull the bolt back it wouldn't work. Could only ever get it back as far as the normal cycling of the bolt. I haven't tried opening it up again. Anything specific to look for? I'm assuming whatever the button should be engaging it not doing so. Or should I just call Savage? Thoughts?

Unbound
03-02-2015, 06:11 AM
I figured out the issue. It's a design/manufacturing issue. The top photo shows the back side of the plastic button you push. This should engage with the front side of the metal lever which in turn drops down the bolt stop in the back of the bolt channel. The problem is the back of the plastic lever is too thin. Even though there is more room in the channel so it could be wider. What is happening is the metal lever is slipping off to the side of the plastic button. That explains why the release is not engaging and why the button gets stuck backwards when I pull it. You can see some wear on the edge of the button where it slips off. If I set it in the stock and tilt the action slightly then the lever lines up with the button and it engages the release correctly. The only solution really is to ever so slightly bend the lever inwards so it properly engages the button when the stock is attached. Question is do I do it in a minute on my own or spend weeks in mailing it and all that hassle to Savage to officially fix it. I wish they had gone though just the tiniest bit more effort to create a metal contract surface with some sort of edge retention for the lever.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p770/Braden_Storrs/10995925_10153710472255550_4200435511700813960_n_z ps6udobui0.jpg

Maine-iac
03-02-2015, 07:50 AM
I would send it back to them to fix. It's the best way to send them a message that they may have a design flaw or laps in quality control. It stinks to have to go thru the trouble but I am sure they will send you a call tag. I have not had to send anything back to Savage for repair but I have sent a few to Ruger for warranty work. It was no fun handing your new shooting iron over to Fed Ex and hope it returns safely but it's the best way to have it done right.

olddav
03-02-2015, 09:33 AM
I would just fix the problem myself, perhaps even adding a metal cover over the plastic piece in question.

short round
03-03-2015, 01:28 AM
An attempt at bending may break it, sears are hardened and have been known to break when attempt is made to bend them.