PDA

View Full Version : question for switch bbl Guys, re:scopes

sha-ul
05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a question for you guys that have a Savage that you swap barrels on, do you have a scope dedicated for each barrel, or do you re-zero each time?
I understand for consistency's sake it would be best to add a witness mark to aide in putting the barrel back as closely as possible to where you took it from,& a Weaver, or Picatinny base should be detachable&
repeatable, if they are labeled for each barrel.

sharpshooter
05-09-2010, 11:05 PM
You will have to re-sight after every barrel change no matter what .

Hammer
05-09-2010, 11:09 PM

SharpShooter thinks you want to hit something.

sha-ul
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I realize you would have to fine tune it every time, my thought was at least you would be in the right neighborhood, or should be on the paper at least.

wwbrown
05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I switch barrels on my F-class rig about once a week between practice and competition barrels and some for mid- and long-range work. When I shoot the installed barrel for the first round I am almost always in the 9 ring, assuming I use the correct comeups for elevation and then I adjust my elevation into the X-ring. I take my scope off when I switch barrels and reinstall the same scope independent of which barrel is on.

I use a picatinny rail with Burris Xtreme rings and torque the rings onto the base. I imagine that there is some play in the scope and barrel reinstall that makes the zero slightly off.

This is not with a savage so your barrel nut may change things.