PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with new long range .308 build.

Pages : 1 [2]

lrshooting
03-02-2015, 01:00 PM
I cannot comment on barrel choices. I run a factory 26" .308 varmint taper barrel on my rig. I'm sure I could probably take it from a 1/2 MOA rifle to a 1/4 MOA rifle with a good barrel, but I'm happy where I'm at now in that regard.

My rifle came with the factory Tupperware stock that I quickly swapped out for a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist. I liked the B&C but wanted a bit more. I ended up hacking on it; adding a raised cheek piece, shaving off the front "wings", and texturing the grip areas. With skim bedding it was shooting lights out . . . but I wanted a detachable magazine! After adding up the cost of the stock, the mods I did to it, and the cost of detachable bottom metal hardware, I discovered that I was in the same ballpark of an entry-level chassis system. I ended up selling off my B&C and bought a McRee's chassis. The modularity of the chassis and the ability to accept AI magazines make it money well spent.

Along that same line, we recently built up a Savage rifle in .223 for my son to shoot in the matches. I bought a Boyd's Tacticool for it, pillared and bedded it, and again added my raised cheek piece mod. I ordered the factory bottom metal direct from Savage to convert it over to the detachable magazine set-up. Although the cost of the stock, mods, and bottom metal don't quite get to the same dollar figure as what I would have done to the B&C to add bottom metal.

Take a look:

Bell & Carlson = $250
Detachable Bottom Metal (from one of the reputable aftermarket makers) = @ $250
Mods to make the stock more usable = @ $50

Total = $550

Boyds Tacticool = $100
Detachable Bottom Metal (from one of the reputable aftermarket makers) = @ $250 / Savage Factory DBM = @ $100
Stock Mods (Raised Cheek Piece / bedding / pillars - all DIY) = $50

Total = either $250 with the Savage factory DBM or $400 with the aftermarket DBM

I think that, going through the work I've done to make either of the stocks more shootable/accurate, I can see how going with the chassis set-up from the get go is money well spent. I do like tinkering and messing with DIY, but I've finally realized the benefits of a chassis. I was happy to see that an un-bedded chassis (you can skim bed if you're not happy with the accuracy out of the box) didn't negatively affect the accuracy of my .308. Still a 1/2 MOA rifle if I do my part.

Sounds like how I am...I cant stand buying things when I can make/modify them better myself. Not to say that a 1000 dollar McMillian isn't a lot better because it is when it comes to durability, weight, and finish, but for the budget guy, I think Boyds has it cornered if you are willing to do DIY stuff.

lrshooting
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Also note I did buy the criterion "match grade" barrel. It was 330 dollars. The two reasons I went that way is they offer a light varmint contour and they had one in stock. If you are not in a rush and don't mind waiting 6 months...order a full custom shilen in the contour you want. I believe they take orders instead of ordering one of their cookie cutter savage prefits. Price will be close to the same...unless you order extras like fluting or brake instalation it's just they won't get it to you for a good amount of time.

Not to argue here, but Shilen will not flute barrels for you. If they do, then it voids the warranty. At least thats what they told me. I dont particularly want to wait 6 months though. Otherwise, definetly. I just can see the time justification for what is likely no accuracy gain unless I am shooting long and hard sessions. Thank you for the insight though. Seems like either way I go, I am going to be okay. I like the idea of a slightly heavier varmint barrel on the criterion, but like the track record with shilen. We shall see :)

rbp75503
03-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Not to argue here, but Shilen will not flute barrels for you. If they do, then it voids the warranty. At least thats what they told me. I dont particularly want to wait 6 months though. Otherwise, definetly. I just can see the time justification for what is likely no accuracy gain unless I am shooting long and hard sessions. Thank you for the insight though. Seems like either way I go, I am going to be okay. I like the idea of a slightly heavier varmint barrel on the criterion, but like the track record with shilen. We shall see :)

I don't know when it took 6 months to get a barrel from Shilen, but I ordered a 6mmX45 Shilen Barrel from NSS December 12th 2014 received second week of Jan 2015. Shilen dropped shipped directly to me.
Chat with Jim at NSS for latest ship times.

D.ID
03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
You can also buy a "factory contoured" shilen blank from midway at around $200 and get it chambered at your favorite smith to speed up the process. Total cost about the same as ordering from shilin and waiting.

lrshooting
03-03-2015, 01:39 AM
I went ahead, contacted Jim again, and got the varmint barrel. Super nice guy to deal with. I figured as much from the first time I called him. I got the 26 inch SS Select Match. I figured that for the 40$ price difference, I would get it and be happy knowing I got the "best." But heck, I doubt itll shoot any better, but placebos work too! It does have the 11 degree target crown which Im not crazy about, but I have a guy around here who loves his guns and his tools and will thread/crown my barrel and do so in a proper manner if I so chose. Hes got several thousand dollars worth of suppressors on his guns, so Im sure that he triple checks his concentrically and measurements so he doesn't go blowing out the baffles. Ill see how it shoots first though. Ill just need to be extra careful if I keep the 11 degree crown so it doesn't get messed up. My tactical crowns have always been pretty robust when it comes to truck guns for coyotes. Ill post pics when I get it done! Gotta get my DBM, stock, TPS Steel scope base, and a good set of rings and im good to go!