PDA

View Full Version : Once Fired Brass Definition

Pages : [1] 2

bvil
02-26-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm not new to reloading but have only recently been noticing the term "once fired" used to describe brass that has been fired more than one time. I have encountered several individuals online and at shows who claim that brass is once fired but upon questioning, they bought it used and do not really know. Same goes for range brass.

A guy at a show got kinda red when I asked why half of his once fired Remington brass had shiny silver spent primers.

I bought some 243 brass on another forum that was described as once fired. No problems with it and it was in good condition but after further discussion, he bought it at an estate sale and knew nothing of it's history.

So,
Does once fired mean it was only fired one time?
Does it simply mean that is used?

I prefer the description of 1x fired. Then again, many would interpret that to mean "one time it was fired... and before that, one time it was fired ... and before that....."

LongRange
02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
once fired means its been fired one time(or is supposed to) not multiple times but when buying used brass you never know what your going to get. i was buying used brass for my 300 in the height of the shortage and got 50 or 60 pieces that would not hold primers and the other 90-100 pieces only lasted a couple of loads.

scope eye
02-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I have come across that a lot, and if it does not have they original primer or the factory crimp, it is just used brass and hopefully the primers will hold, that term does not mean anything anymore, actually it is kinda my pet peeve, just say it's used brass but still in good condition, and I am fine with that.

Dean

flyingfrog509
02-26-2015, 07:04 PM
HUMMM...guess I better be more careful when buying used brass.

If I'm selling brass and call it once fired it means just that - it has been fired once, before that it was a factory loaded round of ammo.

I've passed on brass where it was "once fired" and when I got there to pick it up no primers and the brass looked pretty aged. I just look at that as not being completely honest. However I know to ask more questions now.

Robinhood
02-26-2015, 08:56 PM
95% of the people selling brass do so part time. Their day job is used car salesman.

LongRange
02-26-2015, 09:37 PM
95% of the people selling brass do so part time. Their day job is used car salesman.

LMAO...selling junk by day and more junk at night.

maxl
02-26-2015, 10:42 PM
The only used brass I purchase is lake city, cause its easy to tell it has only been fired once its a pain to remove the crimped primer but you know what your getting when you purchase it and at 47.00 per thousand I don't mind one more step

tufrthnails
02-27-2015, 01:17 AM
X2 on LC Brass Maxl. I like them as well.

GaCop
02-27-2015, 10:08 AM
The only used brass I purchase is lake city, cause its easy to tell it has only been fired once its a pain to remove the crimped primer but you know what your getting when you purchase it and at 47.00 per thousand I don't mind one more step Very good point.

scope eye
02-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Where do you get 1000 Pcs of Brass for $47.00.

Dean

jonbearman
02-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Not all once or twice fired is junk if you anneal it.

Robinhood
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Not all once or twice fired is junk if you anneal it.

This is true. However with all of the hotrodders out there primer pockets become the bigger concern with a couple of manufacturers becoming a real concern.

scope eye
02-27-2015, 01:06 PM
How Come My Ears Are Ringing.

Dean

justinp61
02-27-2015, 02:52 PM
I just bought 350 "once fired" Remington brass for my 260. Out of the 350 I have 150 of them prepped and primed, there are several with lose primer pockets. My definition is one shot fired through the brass period, apparently not everyone shares my idea.

devildogandboy
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
once fired means its been fired one time(or is supposed to) not multiple times but when buying used brass you never know what your going to get. i was buying used brass for my 300 in the height of the shortage and got 50 or 60 pieces that would not hold primers and the other 90-100 pieces only lasted a couple of loads.

exact same thing here with my 300wm, brass was supposedly "once fired" but wouldn't retain the primers. i bought 100 of them for $65, i guess a lesson learned! tried going through my paperwork to find out where and from who i bought them, but never found out. new bagged brass from here on out!

Bruce

D.ID
02-27-2015, 08:39 PM
I categorize all products into one of three conditions regardless of description.
A: NEW: Unused, not previously abused in any way.
B: USED BUT WARRANTIED FOREVER: Optics and the like that the manufacturer will repair, restore or replace regardless of previous abuse.
C: USED: Something someone wants to be rid of. Probably previously abused, proceed with caution.
One man's junk............. is often just that.

maxl
02-27-2015, 11:42 PM
Where do you get 1000 Pcs of Brass for $47.00.

Dean
Midway had a sale about a month ago at 47.00 per thousand i bought 4000, it's 95%LC once fired. Usually I get it from wiedners at 59.00 per

scope eye
02-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Thanks For they Info.

Dean

Digduggy
02-28-2015, 09:34 AM
You can also tell if the cases have been trimmed and chamfered, once they have been done, like the primer pocket crimp, there is no way to know how many times they have been fired

BobT
02-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Things like this are why I quit buying used brass. I got a bunch of Federal Gold Medal .308 brass that was supposedly once fired from a fellow on here several years ago. Most of it didn't survive the second loading, neck splits, loose primer pockets (it was primed when I got it) I ended up just scrapping the whole pile. The person I got it from had a good reputation and it was not my first deal with him so I guessed he had gotten the brass from somewhere under the pretense that is was indeed "once fired" and really didn't know the history. I chalked it up to experience and just quit buying anything used.