PDA

View Full Version : barrel install problem

ande7824
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
So I just got my new McGowen barrel. I ordered a .25 recoil lug from midway to put on when I swapped barrels. I was just trying to install and headspace my barrel today, turns out Mcgowen didn't cut enough threads on my barrel!! I screw the barrel nut all the way down till it stops. Once there I threaded on and it stops on the recoil lug before the bolt face. So I took the recoil lug off and screwed on the barrel with the nut still on until it contacted the bolt face. I took a micrometer and measured the space -- 0.11" not even enough for a stock recoil lug!! I can't believe it. I have heard some horror stories about them and their customer service (which I didn't find until my barrel was well on its way here), so I would rather not send it back.

BTW I know for sure the nut is ALL the way on. I have checked it about 30 times and even tried tapping it with a hammer gently to see if a burr or something was stopping it... trust me it is all the way down.

So my question is... now what?

Cort
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my new McGowen barrel. They extended the threads and returned the barrel to me in good time.

Cort

drybean
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
+1 to cort

drybean

sharpshooter
05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Measure the length of the threads. A standard shank needs 1.620", a large shank needs 1.450".

ande7824
05-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Ummm OK. Well I measured the thread length, and it is about 1.61 inches by my micrometer. If that is what it is supposed to be, why is there not enough space for even a stock recoil lug to fit? I took apart the bolt right before, but put everything back together. Should I be removing the ejector for head spacing?? I orginally took the bolt apart to understand it and maybe install a homemade bolt lift kit in it.

BillPa
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Ummm OK. Well I measured the thread length, and it is about 1.61 inches by my micrometer. If that is what it is supposed to be, why is there not enough space for even a stock recoil lug to fit?

Take a look at geargrinder's posts on this thread. It may be the same issue your running into.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,24963.0.html

Bill

ande7824
05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
BillPa - thank you for that link, I was searching for a while but I could not find anything on this site or others (I have poor searching skills :)) I do not have the fully threaded nut, it is the newer style. My cousin is a machinist and I called him up, he said he would be happy to face the barrel nut. I think i will do that. Thanks again for the replys guys!

dcloco
05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I would have him take a light cut on the face of the barrel nut and the receiver - just to true things up perfectly. You have it apart right now, so this is a good time.

Does your barrel nut have threads all the way out? If so, cut a 1/4" out of those threads on the tapered side (TOWARDS THE MUZZLE OF THE BARREL!!!!)....see the pics on the link BillPA listed.