PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a long range rig, PLEASE!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Robinhood
08-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Were sorry you lost the race due to our faulty tires. To show how serious we are were going to give you a whole new set for the next race.
And if those fail we will stand behind them also. Maybe its just me, but i just dont get that logic.

Several of us continue to assert the gambling nature of buying overpriced Chinese optics named Vortex. You might win you might not = gambling.

Due to the agreement in the TPP, my comments have enabled China's Vortex Optics to sue the American taxpayer for millions of dollars for lost revenue.

yobuck
08-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Several of us continue to assert the gambling nature of buying overpriced Chinese optics named Vortex. You might win you might not = gambling.

Due to the agreement in the TPP, my comments have enabled China's Vortex Optics to sue the American taxpayer for millions of dollars for lost revenue.

Thats a whole nuther subject which could probably lead to me getting kicked off this site.
But id be handing them an iou explaining that id rather owe it than just plain screw them out of it.

Jaggy13
11-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Alright guys, I'm at 800 rounds down range and everything is really coming together. I just pushed my scope a little further forward and got rid of some parallax I was chasing.
I decided to upgrade my trigger as well. The accutrigger just isn't reliable as light as I would like to go. The rifle shot a solid 1/3" group at about 100m including the cold bore.
Once I get the trigger installed I'll make it a priority to post up some groups. (Basix Sav-2)

This has been an incredible learning experience and I really appreciate all the support and comments.

Jaggy13
01-17-2016, 07:31 PM
100 yards with a cold bore shot 1" circle dot.
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/jaggy1101/pics%20for%20forum/7428D1E1-DE4A-410A-904D-AE7970FF6443_zps1qhvihhs.jpg

300 yard with a cold bore
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/jaggy1101/pics%20for%20forum/DEB1881E-4C0C-4E2D-AF9F-39C1ED6F2FB6_zpsmgvo9pqi.jpg

300 yard about 5 minutes after the above group.
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag91/jaggy1101/pics%20for%20forum/9CE70086-AF4C-4483-977E-32166E6E2F56_zpsbguhcrn5.jpg

I wanted to get out to 550 yards but there was a bit of fog. Visibility was fairly poor.
I'm still getting a little bit of parallax, so I am going to borrow a leupold Mark 6 tomorrow and try some more groups. We shall see how it works out.

I'm currently at 900 rounds and shot another PRS match last week end. This thing hit everything. In fact the only targets I missed where because I had slung up to walk stage to stage and didn't check my windage knob before starting a stage... It had moved almost 2 mils. I'm not sure what other rookie mistakes I have yet to learn, but excited to get them crossed off the list!

Another limitation I had with my Vortex PST was at 900 yards, I could see the target very well, got my hits, but could not call hits for myself or other shooters. The plate was swinging but to me it appeared to be stationary. I'm starting to get the bug for better glass... We shall see how that plays out.

Dennis
01-18-2016, 12:44 AM
Scope, I personally have a March I am going to sell. If interested, PM your email and I will send pic's and spec's.

Dennis

Russmerle
01-18-2016, 03:01 AM
Feel free to give us a call if you need any help on the barrel side of things. Jim Briggs over at Northland can help walk you through installation if you need any pointers there.

Jim definately knows his stuff; Northland was great with me. Looks like your build turned out a success

Jaggy13
02-26-2016, 12:34 PM
***Disclaimer. My intent with this thread was to glean correct information, document the build process for others in my position and document and report on the performance. Hopefully for the next guy that finds himself in the position I was in.

My intent is not to bad mouth any vendor or sell equipment or product for any said vendor or private party.

This thread had been smatteted with comments taking away from my original intent.
Any build choices I have documented have been based on my opinion and I have made every attempt not to deminish other products or vendors.

Please keep this in mind when replying. I understand you may have a pet vendor or a scope your fond of. But please do not try to sell it here. It is not the appropriate place.
MODS, if I have overstepped my place, please see fit to modify this thread anyway you see fit.
Thank you for the opportunity.

Jaggy13
02-26-2016, 04:01 PM
At 1200 rounds down range. I just change to a bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 optic. It has a 34mm tube and seems to be very bright and crisp. I have been playing with some extended range targets, 6" colt speed plate at 1200 yards was fun. I could easily see the dirt kick up on misses as well as the steel target move when impacted.

I'm looking forward to some more groups to see how it performs. I'll post up again when I have some more data. The season is just getting going, so once the nice weather hits, I'm sure I will have tons to update.