PDA

View Full Version : Skim bedding help

1luckeyt/a
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I would like to skim bed my H&S stock that was attached to my model 10. I have never done anything like this before so if somebody has done this I use all the pointers I can get. I understand and have seen the work that is takes to bed a rifle, just not one with a bedding block. What brought this about was when I noticed my receiver had come loose in the stock. So figured I would take it apart and take a look at this bedding block and see what it was all about. When I removed the receiver I noticed wear marks from the block. They were not uniform in size. This rifle already shoots great so it wasn't a problem, but it seemed like a good excuse to do something like this. I got some devcon from a buddy, and my rifle is all apart now I just need some wisdom on this matter from those who have done it. So I have a few question about what to do after the prep work is complete.

1. Do I need to bed around the recoil lug, and if so where?
2. Since it already has a solid foundation do I need to tape the barrel to make sure everything is level?
3. After I apply the devcon to the block and lay in the receiver I should just torque down the receiver to squeeze out the excess correct?
4. How much tq should be applied to the receiver bolts?

If I am way off, please feel free to say so. Like I said this is the first time i've done anything like this so if anyone has some pics of this in progress that would be awesome. Well if it shoots better after this that would be great. If not oh well I would still benefit from the experience. Any input is greatly appreciated

mytwo60
05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
1. Do I need to bed around the recoil lug, and if so where? yes, cover the entire area around the recoil lug.

2. Since it already has a solid foundation do I need to tape the barrel to make sure everything is level? This is absolutely critical part. I can't stress enough how critical this step is. Make sure the tape is high enough to "center" your barrel AND to align the action port with the stock.

3. After I apply the devcon to the block and lay in the receiver I should just torque down the receiver to squeeze out the excess correct? Yes, Just use electrical tape to "tq" down the action and not the action screws.

4. How much tq should be applied to the receiver bolts? Just wrap the action with electrical tape ensuring it's a good tight fit and that is all you need to do. Don't use the action screws or C-clamps to torque it down. Keep an eye out on the action port to ensure it is level with the stock (this is where the tape around the barrel is so critical).

One last thing I will add is make sure you FLOAT the entire area just behind the rear action screw to the end of the tang. Bedding is like painting a room. 90% is prep work and 10% is the bedding. Good luck!

Oh and if you think your gun shoots awesome...wait until after you bed it.

possum1
05-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Since you are a paid member you have access to a wealth of info, just do a search on rifle bedding. Here's one for ya, not really complicated. Good luck http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stock Bedding 101 and another http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=A Look into Improving the Duramaxx

1luckeyt/a
05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I just finished skim coating, should I be able to see any of the aluminum bedding block where it mates to the receiver?

1luckeyt/a
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Also, how much torque should i put on the bolts when i put on the reciever?

dcloco
05-15-2010, 05:45 PM
You might see some of the bedding block...or at least where the compound is thin.

Same torque as you normally would torque the action screws to.

1luckeyt/a
05-15-2010, 07:29 PM
What is the factory torque spec???

jpdown
05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I think you will find after the bedding job the action screws will snug up tight and stop. I torque to 25# and never had an action screw come loose. But I'm sure you will get many different answers. Just do a site search for "action screw torque".

1luckeyt/a
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Just want to thank everyone for all the advice, and tips. I zeroed my rifle this after noon and when I did my part all the rounds went into one ragged hole. Average groups were 4 shots in one ragged hole with me dropping one just out of the group. It is a visible improvement. I took some pics of the bedding. I will try to post them later.