PDA

View Full Version : Stuck screw in base

zap
02-25-2015, 01:10 AM
I was removing bases from a previously owned rifle that is now mine, and the last screw will not budge. The previous owner or whomever set the bases on used red loktite. Not sure if it is really the loktite holding the screw in or just over torqued.

I dont want to have the flat head screw driver slip off anymore and ruin the slot. Is their anything that i can try to get it loose. Heat, pb blaster, kroil ???? I do plan to find my best fitting flat head screw driver and grind the tip slightly to be sure it is square and not rounded.
Surely lots of folks have been through this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

drybean
02-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Try using a soldering gun to heat the head of the screw

huntin1
02-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Kroil might work, but if he did use red loctite you will likely have to heat it. I would try the method drybean suggested first.

Huntin1

zap
02-25-2015, 10:02 AM
thank u guys !

Fotheringill
02-25-2015, 11:08 AM
One drop of acetone (nail polish remover) and let it sit for an hour or so. If that does not work, try the heat AFTER rinsing off the acetone.

Robinhood
02-25-2015, 01:31 PM
A small drift punch rapped squarely with a hammer helps as well. Be careful or you will close the opening for the bit. That tactic can be used on a stripped hole as well.

zap
02-26-2015, 10:26 AM
I found a screw driver with a nice square tip, and it came right out. Right tools for the right job.
Thanks for all the replies, good to know stuff.