PDA

View Full Version : Model 11VT or Trophy Hunter 11/111XP?

CaneMBA
02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone! I've been set on the Trophy Hunter 11/111 XP in .308. The accutrigger, reviews, and the Nikon BDC scope really put it over the top of other rifles for me. I ran over to my neighborhood Dicks to actually hold one, check the price, and look through the scope. Well, I discovered they also have the Model 11 VT, unfortunately the sales guy was new and didn't inow much about the 11VT. Since it appears to be an exclusive to DSG, there isn't a lot of information available. I've read as much as I can find, watched some YouTube videos unique to the 11 VT and I really think it's a better choice.

My goal is hunting (Deer, Hogs, Coyotes, etc), however, I have a local gun club with ranges out to 600 yards. I think the VT will be perfect for everything I want to do, but I wanted to check with the experts here and confirm my thought process is correct. In my mind the heavy barrel is more valuable than the scope which I would likely change in time anyway.

Thanks,

Mike

Exracer
02-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I have owned both models as in 11xp trophy hunter and Dicks model 11vt in the last couple months..Mine were both in .223..They are very accurate off the shelf they will shoot 1/2moa with my reloads...At 200yds my best group is 7/8 "and at 300yds it is 1 3/8"..I prefer the 11VT as it has a 24" heavy varmint barrel..My shooting is all bench and 100 to 300yds and the heavy barrel will take more shooting before heating up and loosing group size...The 11xp Trophy was a 22" sporter barrel and 3 shot groups were excellent but 4th and 5th shot they opened up...They are made for hunting(light weight)and you usually only need one shot..Both have(had) Boyds laminated thumbhole stocks because the org plastic is not for me..To flexible and not comfortable shooting..They are light for carry as in hunting..Both have the DBM and plastic surround frame...Not what I wanted so on the 11Vt I put a PT&G bottom metal with their 10rnd polymer mag...Works nice and a great product...Hope this was some help for you to decide....Exracer:thumb:

Exracer
02-24-2015, 09:16 PM
I forgot to mention the scope...It possibly is good for hunting but not what you will need at 600yds..My old eyes I use a 6X24-44 for 200-300yds..Last week I hit a golfball fastened to a target at 300yds...Savage makes a great shooter...Also the 11VT trigger will adjust down to 1 1/2lbs and the 11 trophy XP minimum is 3 1/2lbs...Again the heavyer trigger is for hunting and carry while the 11Vt is for varmint off a bench...Sell the scope it comes with and upgrade, you will be very happy.....Exracer.

Wheezy50
02-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Following this thread. I just handled the 11VT in .308 today at Dicks sporting goods. Thinking it looks like a great first long range gun

CaneMBA
02-24-2015, 11:44 PM
I forgot to mention the scope...It possibly is good for hunting but not what you will need at 600yds..My old eyes I use a 6X24-44 for 200-300yds..Last week I hit a golfball fastened to a target at 300yds...Savage makes a great shooter...Also the 11VT trigger will adjust down to 1 1/2lbs and the 11 trophy XP minimum is 3 1/2lbs...Again the heavyer trigger is for hunting and carry while the 11Vt is for varmint off a bench...Sell the scope it comes with and upgrade, you will be very happy.....Exracer.

Perfect! Thank you for the response Exracer. I started wearing reading glasses a couple years ago, and those BDC circles on the Nikon scope sure we're hard to see. I wasn't a huge fan of the Bushnell scope, but I thought it would carry me through the summer which should allow me time to learn how to shoot long distance, and learn my new rifle. I'm not a total novice, I did serve in the Army for 10 years and qualified with a pretty wide range of weapons, including the Soviet SVD Sniper Rifle. However, Ammo is vastly superior, as is just about everything else. Dang,I'm getting old...

Even though I plan on using this as a hunting rifle, my primary hunting partner is a Compound bow. However, most Coyotes have learned to stay well outside of my self imposed range of 40 yards. Sorry, I'm rambling. The 24" barrel on it's own interested me, and the fact that it's a heavy barrel is icing on the cake. I didn't know the trigger was lighter on the VT, that's great news. I just don't think I can go wrong with the VT in .308, looks like I'll pick it up Friday, if it's still in stock. Although I wish there was a sale coming up, paying $579 when I saw the Black Friday prices is going to hurt. I know it's well worth it though.

Thank You!

Mike

Exracer
02-25-2015, 12:30 AM
When I went to Dick's before New Years they had a special that maybe is still on..If you sign up for a Dick's master/card to purchase your rifle and anything else that day they will give you another 10% off ($57.00)...I went for it and since have paid off the card and threw it in the desk...Hoping it hides well....Exracer

mech1369dlw
02-26-2015, 08:19 PM
I bought an 11VT in .308 this past Dec. I knew the scope on most package deals are the weak spot, and the one mine came with was just what I thought it would be. It came off, went in the parts drawer and I mounted a nice Mueller on it. After 100 rounds or so, it is the best center fire rifle I have ever spent my own money on. Trigger will go down to 1 1/2 lbs, probably lower but I am happy with that, which is great for the bench. I am getting 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards shooting off of a led sled with my hand loads if I do my part. Great gun. Do not be scared to get the 11Vt.

CaneMBA
02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I bought the 11VT today at lunch! Exracer, the 10% off for opening a credit card is still valid, and Savage currently has a $100 Mail-in Rebate on the 11VT! I'm seriously jazzed! Going to give her a good scrub down and cleaning tonight, then hopefully put 20-30 rounds down range tomorrow.

She's a heavy beast though.

How many of you subscribed to the barrel break-in philosophy, and how many of you just shoot, and shoot, and shoots?

Exracer
02-27-2015, 09:51 PM
The $100 rebate makes it a no brainer...Way to go Cane...My first time out shot 45rnds. but not getting barrel hot..Was at the range about 4hrs or so letting it cool down some after 2 or 3 shots...Next time at the range I shot it 55rnds...Same procedure...I can't understand all the shoot one and clean techniques that I read about...I was taught by some accurate shooters older and wiser than me and they say that all that cleaning is just wearing out the barrel so the barrel makers can sell you another one...You do what you feel is right for you as I'm just telling you my story...I won alot of races and I broke my motors in when the green flag came out and never babied any of them.......Have fun and enjoy your new toy.....Exracer...:smile-new:

Milspec-Trebuchet
03-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Can anyone confirm that the current rebate is applicable to the 11vt?

Savage does not specify that this model is eligible for any rebates on their site. And neither of my local Dick's are advertising a rebate on them.

I've been waffling on picking up a VT, but if it is eligible for the rebate, the decision just made itself.

thanks!

jonbearman
03-17-2015, 02:04 PM
The easiest way to find out is to call dicks and get the answer you need. You might also go looking on the internet to see if anyone has a sale on them. Do not buy the XP model as the scopes are sub par to me.

Hotolds442
03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
There is no rebate on the 11VT.