PDA

View Full Version : axis xp

seadog
02-23-2015, 10:41 PM
hello,

new to the forum, i am sure this has been answered but I just bought the axis xp from gandermountain and it was suppose to
be the three position safety. It is actually two position, but it seems that the safety will not go on unless the trigger is
cocked. so if i fired the round in the chamber and drop the clip out and now want to put safety on i have to just flip the
bolt lever up (not even pull it back) and i can now put safety on. should i make sure chamber is empty and then take safety
off and dry fire to release trigger ? is it bad on spring to store it empty with trigger cocked and and safety on

as you can see new to bolt action rifles. is this normal that i can't put safety on unless cocked as i mentioned earlier if i just flip bolt lever up and not pull back at all it seems to clock trigger and now i can
put safety on.

thanks

Rosco
02-24-2015, 12:07 AM
I am curious where did you see a three position safety for an Axis model?

J.Baker
02-24-2015, 01:34 AM
The Axis has never been offered with a 3-position safety, that's one of the primary differences between it and the more expensive 110-series rifles.

As for unloading a live round, as you have discovered you have to do it with the safety off. Simply follow basic firearm safety protocols (muzzle pointed in a safe direction, finger nowhere near trigger, etc) and it's a non-issue the same as on the vast majority of other firearms on the market that only have two position safeties (all handguns, shotguns, most centerfire rifles of any type, every rimfire I've ever seen, etc. etc.).

sharpshooter
02-24-2015, 02:32 AM
If it's not cocked, why would you want to put the safety on????

seadog
02-24-2015, 10:51 AM
If it's not cocked, why would you want to put the safety on????

if I were removing the last fired round from chamber, by pulling the bolt back it seems to cock the rifle, should I dry fire it to release trigger after removing fired round ?

also didn't know if ok to store it with trigger cocked is it hard on spring.

appears gandermountain had a misprint then go to know all savage axis xp have only two position safety.

J.Baker
02-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Yes, bolt cocks on opening. Won't hurt anything to leave it cocked while stored, but won't hurt to dry-fire it to have it uncocked while stored either.

seadog
02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Yes, bolt cocks on opening. Won't hurt anything to leave it cocked while stored, but won't hurt to dry-fire it to have it uncocked while stored either.

Thanks !!

MKP270
02-25-2015, 02:00 PM
First post but a long time lurker just thought I'd chime in. If you're concerned about dry-firing and cocked storage, lift the bolt handle (chamber empty of course) pull and hold the trigger while lowering the bolt handle, . This will softly decock the firing pin, relieving any spring tension. Of course, will not be able to use the safety, but that's a moot point. Not really necessary but it is an option.

sharpshooter
02-26-2015, 01:16 AM
A decocked bolt is still under spring tension. It's really not worth worrying about, springs don't go bad from being compressed, they get weaker from being fired a million times.