PDA

View Full Version : A-Max or V-Max?

boy412
05-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Going to try some new bullets soon, and I was wondering what people's opinions were of the A-Max and V-Max. Just interested in target shooting, but someone suggested that I should try an expanding type of bullet over the FMJ-BT's I've been shooting so far.

Is one "better" than the other. Only shooting up to 100 yards so far, and am about to start load development...so I'm looking around at all the different bullets.

Rifle is a 12LRPV in .223. Barrel twist is 1:9.

Thanks!

LG
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
What caliber / cartridge?

I've had good luck with 50gr V-Max bullets in my .223 rifle. Also the 168gr A-Max bullets are pretty accurate in my .308. So far my experience with V-max and A-max bullets has been very positive.

For target shooting you may also want to look at HPBT match type bullets like the 69gr Sierra Matchking (assuming you have a .223 rifle).

bootsmcguire
05-08-2010, 10:53 PM
the A-Max and V-Max are both good bullets. I use 155gr A-Max pushed by 45grs of Varget in my 12FV 308 and love em. Will make clover leafs with them at 100yds all day long. The other plus is, I also use that gun for longer range deer hunting and the 150gr SST bullets fly almost as good and to a nearly identical point of impact, so I can use the same gun for punching paper and getting meat.

I also use 55gr. V-max's sometimes in my 22-250, and have no major complaints. I usually use 55gr Sierra Spitzers, but the V-Max is so nice for dead-right-there shots on varmints, accuracy is good, but can't seem to run them as fast as the Sierras I use. It seems I start to show pressure signs at lower levels with the V-max over the Sierra.

Either is good for punching paper, I like the idea of V-max bullets for target with the thought that if you ever have a "varmint target of opportunity" you can bang away at him and know that when you hit him its gonna do some damage. For just punching paper I would say try both and see if there is a difference. Each gun like different things, sometimes for no apparent reason.

boy412
05-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Aside from the fact that these two bullets don't seem to be available in the same weights, I can't tell what the difference is!

tammons
05-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Me either.

They both seem to be about the same. Both cheap for the accuracy you get out of them.

The Hornady site sez the Amax is a match bullet and the Vmax is a tipped varmint bullet.

Slowpoke Slim
05-09-2010, 10:30 AM
If you're just interested in target shooting paper at 100 yds, then the "type" of bullet doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is where the hole ends up in the paper, and how far that hole is from the other holes in the paper. An expanding bullet is not more accurate than a non-expanding bullet. Most match bullets are made for consistency in flight, not for expansion.

I use expanding bullets in my 223 and 22-250, they happen to be 50 gr Hornady v-max's. These bullets group very well for me, especially at the distances you're shooting. I use these 2 rounds for varmints, so the fast, dramatic expansion of the v-max is what I'm looking for in these rounds. Both of these loads are capable of one hole groups at 100 yds. If I had been pursuing paper targets with these rounds, I probably would have started out with the Berger match bullets, or the Sierra matchkings for my load development.

dcloco
05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Might call Hornady. Believe the difference is in jacket thickness. Have not cut either apart....just a guess.

Of note, when you get the speed up on the AMax's, they provide some significant aerial displays on prairie dogs. Nothing like a 75 gr AMax at 3950 fps!!!

PBinWA
05-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I loaded some 75 Amax's this week. I haven't shot them yet. They seemed a little narrower than the 69 SMK's and other bullets I had used earlier. Not sure if this is an issue. I'm debating crimping them but since they will just be used for target shooting they should be OK. I'm no reloading expert so if anyone has some wisdom on this I'm open to hearing it.

I also noticed that they were much more susceptible to scratching/scuffing on rough case rims.

dcloco
05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I loaded some 75 Amax's this week. I haven't shot them yet. They seemed a little narrower than the 69 SMK's and other bullets I had used earlier. Not sure if this is an issue. I'm debating crimping them but since they will just be used for target shooting they should be OK. I'm no reloading expert so if anyone has some wisdom on this I'm open to hearing it.

I also noticed that they were much more susceptible to scratching/scuffing on rough case rims.

Why are your case rims rough?

I would not crimp, unless a particular rifle tells you that it LIKES crimping in a load ladder test. About the only reasons to crimp - semi/full auto, high recoiling calibers, and pistols.

PBinWA
05-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Why are your case rims rough?

I think I could have done a better job deburring them or I fed the bullet in slightly angled. My main point is that they seemed "softer" (easier to scuff or scratch) than VMax's or SMK's.

dcloco
05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Ah...gotcha.

Use a 60 degree debur tool for the inside chamfer. Helps quite a bit with flat base bullets and definitely makes the boat tails start the slide in the neck easier.

boy412
05-10-2010, 09:44 AM
The only reason I ask this question is that lots of people on these forums seem to like the Hornady bullets, whether they are hunting or just punching holes in paper.

I have some 52gr Sierra MK's that I'm going to play with, but I think I'm going to try some heavier (68-75) grain bullets next. These lighter bullets I had on-hand for a 1:12 gun that I ended up not keeping.

bootsmcguire
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Sierra makes a great bullet, and there is nothing wrong with them that I can find. I use Sierras in my 22-250 most of the time (55gr Spitzers) and in my Rem. 30-06 (180gr SBT Gameking) and plan on using them in my 30-06 Stevens Build (same) and I have also used their pistol bullets in my 44 Mags with great success. I have no complaints about Sierra and find myself choosing them more often than not, for my other rifles I am still playing with.

I know a lot of people rave about the Matchkings, especially for the 308 Win.

lal357
05-10-2010, 07:06 PM
not sure about the .223 (gonna find out in a few weeks) i use a hornady 75 grain hpbt match bullet in my 223 i just got it and i'm start to see what load it likes .but in my 308 i use the 168gr amaxunder varget and get .5-.3" groups @ 100yrds put 5 in .357 ctc this past weekend they are about the only rounds i use .most guys i bench shoot with swear by berger but for what they cost i can get twice the rounds with amax's and the groups arent bad

bootsmcguire
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
+1