PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 Trophy Hunter XP or 14 American Classic

huskershooter
02-23-2015, 02:12 AM
Hey everyone, I've been looking for my first hunting rifle and have it narrowed to these two specific models, both in 243. Live in western Nebraska, with mostly open country or some river woodlands. Going to be using it mostly for deer or coyotes, as well as punching paper. I have shot a lot growing up it has just always been friends rifles. I can get the TH XP for 556 over at tombstone tactical with the Nikon BDC scope package. Or the 14 for 619 no scope, NIB so obviously the bases, rings, and glass would be on top of that cost. I prefer the look of the 14, but is there anything else that would warrant the extra cost? If your recommendation is the 14 do you have a base, ring, scope combo that would be nice for about 3-400 dollars? Looking for a rifle that will serve me well for years to come.

Thank you in advance.

Maine-iac
02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
The 14 is just so darn good looking. I have one in 250 Savage and it's the prettiest rifle in my collection. I used one piece Talley ring mounts with a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope. Mostly hunt white tails in the woods. You will get solid performance out of either rifle but if you want something to keep and hand down to the kids some day I would buy the American Classic.

huskershooter
02-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Yes that is kind of what I've been thinking too but it is a little more pricey.

Maine-iac
02-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Buy the model 10 and when you can afford it splurge for a 14. No shame in that. I began buying guns when I was in high school and on a strict budget. It was birch stocks and Tasco scopes. 30 years later and I am just now buying Leupolds and pricier shooting irons. One of the benefits of getting older!

Ps. Killed a lot of deer and made a lot of great memories with those birch stock Savages and Tasco scopes.

JD4030
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I have an older 10 with the blind magazine. I like it fine, but if I were looking today I would go with the 14. Better looking wood and has the bettter 'bottom metal', well worth the extra cost.

Too bad they quit production of the stainless 14's, those were good looking rifles.

JD4030
02-25-2015, 02:05 PM
I have an older 10 with the blind magazine. I like it fine, but if I were looking today I would go with the 14. Better looking wood and has the bettter 'bottom metal', well worth the extra cost.

Too bad they quit production of the stainless 14's, those were good looking rifles.

Maine-iac
02-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Tell me about it! A local gun shop has a stainless in .243 and .270 and I struggle to not buy one every time I go. They have had them for ever and won't budge on the price. I think they want $699. Not a bad price but if they would just knock off a few bucks or throw in a box of ammo I would of bought the .243 along time ago. Maybe I will check in with them again this weekend. Stay tuned.