PDA

View Full Version : First 100yd shots with my new Savage 10FCP-SR in .308

Jdm160
02-22-2015, 11:32 PM
I took my brand spanky new Savage 10FCP-SR chambered in .308 to a 100yd range and tried out a few different types of ammo - all from Freedom Munitions. My rifle seemed to like the 155gr A-MAX, which was used in all of the 3-shot groups below.

This is my first bolt action rifle, so I didn't know what to expect for accuracy. I'm pretty happy with these groups, but I really want to push out to 600yd and beyond. The problem is that I have nowhere to do it nearby....

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag50/jdm160/IMG_2495_zps284d4b76.jpg

foxx
02-23-2015, 12:05 AM
Sweet!

Boudin
02-23-2015, 01:26 AM
<1 moa on the first day out with your first bolt gun. I'd say you are off to a nice start. Congrats.

JW
02-23-2015, 09:02 AM
I think you have a keeper
Nice shooting
It is always nice to do that well on the first time out with a new rifle!
You can have a lot of fun and good practice at shorter range, then stretch it out when you have the chance

Jack

Jdm160
02-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys!! I've always been quite serious about the mechanics of rifle shooting - albeit with an air rifle. I live in the Peoples Republic of NJ, so the opportunity to shoot "real" rifles is just not easy to come by. I always joked that the amount of lead on the property of my childhood, from my pellets, would constitute an EPA disaster.

The only thing I'm confused about is the fact that my rifle preferred the 155gr over the 168gr. I was thinking that with the 1:10 twist of the 10FCP, the heavier bullets would do better? I guess you can't over spin the lighter stuff? Anyway, I intend to try some 168gr Sierra match-king ammo before I make up my mind. I am very impressed that the Reloads from Freedom Munitions can group like that!

BigDave
03-16-2015, 01:53 AM
Cool, great groupings. I would try the tried and true standard for MOST barrels....the 168gr SMK from Federal GMM or Black Hills. Over 600 yards use the 175 grain. But some barrels have different harmonics that like very specific ammo. In that case sometimes extensive experimentation with factory and or hand loads may be necessary to attain max accuracy out of your barrel.

Your groupings should get better as the barrel gets broken in and you get a nice layer of copper filling up any micro fissures in your bore. I was taught to shoot for copper equilibrium. Ie shoot 100+ rounds and clean ONLY for carbon. Dont use a copper solvent until accuracy falls off. Then de-copper but not aggressively. They say a fouled bore is inherently more accurate than a pristine bore. That has a lot to do with a "healthy" layer of copper deposited. Copper is not the demo.n we are led to believe. It can be quite helpful. log your shots and you will will be able to keep your rifle bore in some semblance of 'copper equilibrium". Good luck. I just bought a "spanking new" (well, make that "never fired") 2013 Accurate mag version of the 10 FCP-SR. How do your double stack mags feed? I heard Savage was having some luck correcting the early feeding problems. Hope so.

Quote:
Coppering and gunpowder fouling can accumulate in a rifle bore changing the friction dynamics between the bore and the bullet. Although excessive coppering can be a problem causing erratic performance, a certain amount of coppering can be helpful in maintaining a consistent bore environment. Overcleaning your long range precision rifle can disturb your coppering equilibrium. If you remove the copper from your bore while cleaning, you will have to start building back up to the equilibrium point from the beginning.

SniperGoat
03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice!!! Your on the right track.

Russmerle
03-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Jdm160, heck of a sweet rifle. I have the model 10P. It has the accu trigger but not the accu stock and it still keeps a consistent .6 - .75 MOA 5 shot group with SMK GMM 175s (if I do my part). Savage builds some really great affordable rifles and you have another fine example.

question: I was stationed in NJ 2004-2009 and know hollow points are illegal; do they consider sierra bullets a hollow point? For design and use, I know sierras are not hollow points and federal even says you should use them for hunting because they don't expand like a hunting bullet. The hole in front of the bullet aids in aerodynamics and not mushrooming. But does NJ recognize that fact?

Great rifle, keep us posted.

wingspar
03-20-2015, 02:12 AM
I recently picked up a Hog Hunter in .308. The twist is the same, 1:10. The first ammo I shot was the Freedom Munitions 147 grain FMJ and the Freedom Munitions 168 grain A-Max. I like what I’m getting from the 168 grain bullets, but I have not tried the 155 grain A-Max yet. May have to try those. Before I bought my gun, I watched a video where a guy did some tests with a whole bunch of ammo, including steel, his own reloads and some factory brass loads. His best groups were with Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt PSP so I picked up a box. I’m waiting till I have a little more time with the gun before I shoot some of that spendy stuff. I flinch a lot. I’ll have to toss in some 155 grain A-Max next time I order from FM.

eddiesindian
03-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Excellent results. I'm curious as to what speeds those 155,s are running. Got a box of them laying around. Wouldnt mind loading some up and working on load development .judging by your patterns you can send those past 600 easily. I'm sending 150 smk out to 1k with no problems. Good shooting dude

390fe
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Looks great!

I have a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 with a 1:10 twist also, and I am getting sub half minute of angle groups with 175 grain Sierra Matchkings in reloaded military brass.

Let me echo what BigDave says about cleaning and copper equallibrium - he's right on the money.

If you don't reload, try some Black Hills Match ammo, 168's or 175's, and/or some Federal Gold Medal Match in both weights. It is strictly target ammo, but great stuff.