PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Pages : [1] 2

fgw_in_fla
02-22-2015, 05:27 PM
What's the name of the stuff you put in with the tumbling media to make it clean & shine better?

I'm using walnut in a Lyman 2500 magnum turbo super duper hoo haa wiz bang tumbler with EMF injection, ported Johnson shaft and titanium framus rods and I recall some of y'all are putting stuff in with the media for extra shine & cleansing power.

Also, are you supposed to crush the walnuts before you use them?
Thanks.

Rick_W
02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
I put a cap full of Nu Finish polish.

mscott71
02-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Nu Finish car polish seems to work pretty well.

If you leave the walnuts in the tumbler long enough they should crush themselves :)

fgw_in_fla
02-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Got it.
It seems I recall the Nu-Finish name from a while back.

The guy at BassPro said to use walnut so I said "so I need to swing by Publix on the way home & pick up a bag or two of walnuts?" - he looked at me with a very puzzled look on his face. I can't quite explain it. It was one of those looks like he was thinking "this guy's a gold plated sphincter" but didn't know what to say.

Anyway, so far, so good.
We added 2 more calibers and doubled the 9mm pistol brass now that the 'lil woman is using her gen 3 G19. She also picked up a new S&W 686 in .357 mag which is a lot of fun.
I'm tired of cleaning brass by hand. Now that I'm retired I'm just too busy to mess around with brass cleaning. I have hunting & shooting to do, naps, smoking meat, gardening, reloading, shooting, fishing, naps and shooting.
Oh, forgot shooting ,too.
I wish I would have got a tumbler 3 years ago when I asked about them. Definitely makes the process simpler.
Thanks.

243LPR
02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
If you're using the metal cleaning media Lemi-Shine is what they recommend.

fgw_in_fla
02-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Nope.
Not up to steel pins yet. Include a little polishing stuff in the walnuts & see where it takes me.

So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I'm gathering everything in the house to polish since I ran out of brass already.

bythebook
02-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Frank I use ground corn cob and put some either car polish or polish I bought years ago when I bought the tumbler.

fgw_in_fla
02-22-2015, 11:20 PM
I'll be trying corn cob next. I got a couple containers of each.

Thought I'd try the walnuts first. Thanks for the heads up.

So far home boy be likin' this tumbling stuff. Saves a lot of wear & tear on my fingers and drill while saving on 0000 steel wool.

eddiesindian
02-23-2015, 02:24 AM
corn cob is better for cleaning...while walnut is better for polish...least its been for me.
liquid brass polish in the media works great.
ive found to add the polish to what ever media while in the tumbler with no brass and like mscott71 mentioned it will eventually break up the clots and blend with the media.
Ive also found to mix the polish to the media during warmer climates. add the polish to the media while tumbler is running and let it run on a hot summers day. it,ll blend nicely....then add your brass.....set-it-and-forget-it.

fgw_in_fla
02-23-2015, 07:31 AM
I going to switch out the walnut to corn cob this morning. While the walnut did a nice job I noticed it has a hard time removing the ID marking I put on test ammo. Felt tip marker is pretty durable so Ill have to remove it with a little acetone.

I'll be running a bunch of really dirty .308 brass this morning to give the tumbler & corn cob media the "supreme test" - I suppose I need to take the corn kernels off the cob first?...

Eddie - "warm weather" wasn't a problem here yesterday. It was 76 and it's supposed to hit 78 today. 4 days ago I was running the heat. Yesterday & today I'll be running the A/C.

Thanks for all the tid bits of info, gents.
I'm off to do some serious tumbling before I head to the range.

JW
02-23-2015, 08:54 AM
corn cob is better for cleaning...while walnut is better for polish...least its been for me.
liquid brass polish in the media works great.
ive found to add the polish to what ever media while in the tumbler with no brass and like mscott71 mentioned it will eventually break up the clots and blend with the media.

+1 Frank
I started with walnut media and used it for a long time until I tried some corn cob media
I think you will see a big difference
Jack

fgw_in_fla
02-23-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm seeing that already, JW.
I put the .308 cases (about 75) in with the corn cob (treated with a little Nu-Finish). It's only been a little over an hour and they already look better than 3 hours of walnut.
Looks like corn cob gets the vote.

Now I need to go down to the range to make some more dirty brass. Thanks for all the input.

By the way, what do I do with all those corn kernels that came off the cob?
Can I still eat them?

maxl
02-23-2015, 11:07 AM
I have 2 tumblers one is set up with lyman treated corn cob the other lizard litter from pet smart with some flitz media polish. Run dirty brass in the corn cob first, then resize and throw them in the lizard litter. Works great.

jonbearman
02-23-2015, 11:17 AM
I have been using nufinish for a year or so in untreated corn cob and it does a fantastic job cleaning the brass up.

eddiesindian
02-24-2015, 12:24 AM
I going to switch out the walnut to corn cob this morning. While the walnut did a nice job I noticed it has a hard time removing the ID marking I put on test ammo. Felt tip marker is pretty durable so Ill have to remove it with a little acetone.

I'll be running a bunch of really dirty .308 brass this morning to give the tumbler & corn cob media the "supreme test" - I suppose I need to take the corn kernels off the cob first?...

Eddie - "warm weather" wasn't a problem here yesterday. It was 76 and it's supposed to hit 78 today. 4 days ago I was running the heat. Yesterday & today I'll be running the A/C.

Thanks for all the tid bits of info, gents.
I'm off to do some serious tumbling before I head to the range.

roger that.......

bythebook
02-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Frank Corn cob does a real job if you forget you have the tumbler running and leave it run for about 10 or 12 hours. It is a little softer and it is easier to keep the tumbler in one spot if you remove the kernels first.

Eddie warm wasn't a problem here in sunny Pa. either it was -7 yesterday AM and got up 13, today it did get up close to 30 but the Sun made it seem warmer.

Frank if my cases are pretty dirty I tumble them for a couple or 3 hrs. I think I am going to get a timer I can set and plug my tumbler into so I don't get any more overnight runs.

fgw_in_fla
02-25-2015, 09:54 PM
I thought about the timer type receptacle, too. I have loaded it up and left the house for a few hours completely forgetting about it. It didn't hurt anything except a few extra pennies on the electric bill.

And I'd appreciate it if you didn't discuss any temperature below 65* F in my presence.
I get chills real easy thinking about it...

BillPa
02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
And I'd appreciate it if you didn't discuss any temperature below 65* F in my presence.
I get chills real easy thinking about it...

For you viewing enjoyment (misery?) Uncle Frankie....
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1253750.1359810225!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/groundhog3n-6-web.jpg

fgw_in_fla
02-26-2015, 02:36 PM
I get chills just looking at that.
Is that you Deano doing you imitation as Dean-o-Flav?

I really dig that hat, too.
Got one just like it...

BillPa
02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
I get chills just looking at that.
Is that you Deano doing you imitation as Dean-o-Flav?

I really dig that hat, got one just like it...

Ya got a hat like that'n? You should have two, one to poop in the other to cover it with! :p

Oh and while we're on the subject I use a few cap fulls of Wright's brass polish in the untreated pig feed (aka; corn cob media) to make'm purdy. I also sift it through a screen so the bigger chucks don't stick in the flash holes.