PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Grind to Fit Recoil Pad

cowboyarcher
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Here's the scenario,

Got a tupperware stock I'm setting up for my fiancee. She's 4"11", so naturally I cut it down. With a 1" grind to fit recoil pad the LOP is not approx 12.5".

But, the screw don't match up with the ribs in the butt-stock. In fact they hit right at the edge of the ridge. I am thinking I need to fill the butt stock with something and then screw the pad into that.

But what?

I have Devcon, Fiberglass cloth and resin, and some PC7 on hand, as well as some scrap pieces of hardwood.

So what I'm currently thinking is fill the butt with fiberglass resin and get as much cloth in there as possible. Then I'll have the bottom of the pad, and it's screws covered in release agent, and set the pad into the liquid resin. Should just screw out after it set up, right?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Adam

Eric in NC
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I would cut the ribs out and sink some hardwood dowels in there (in epoxy or cloth/resin or whatever) and screw into them. Also a chance to add some #8 lead shot if she is recoil sensitive.

Smokey262
05-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I would not fill the entire butt, too much messing around. I would fit a piece of 3/4" thick hardwood into the end, profiling the inside edges to match the inner contour of the stock. Then I would use a dremel and rough up the inside of the stock and the edges of the wooden piece, and epoxy it into place. Before I permanently attached the pad I would seal the wood with polyurethane.

stumpjumper400
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I did the same thing as smokey. It was an SBE2 turkey gun that had nowhere to drill for new holes. The only difference is I used a 1/4 inch piece of t-6 aluminum. Grind fit, grind fit, until I got it right. Tapped the holes for allen bolts like our actions.

The guy was 100lbs soaking wet and is shooting 3.5inch turkey loads out of it.

laportecharlie
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I've done about a half dozen the way Smokey does it. I bought a piece of full diminsion 1by6 Poplar and cut off short pieces to plug the cavity in the butt stock. I made a cardboard template that I would trace onto the wood and grind it down on the disc sander. I use the X-Coil pad by HiViz and they come out real nice.
Charlie

cowboyarcher
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks Guys, I think I have a plan in mind now!

God bless you all,

Adam