PDA

View Full Version : Bedding action with 8115

67tundra
02-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Has anyone ever bedded a action with 8115 it's a panel bonding epoxy I use it to Glue roof skins on. Really tough stuff 3m makes it. Did searches and couldn't come up with any answers. I would think it would work pretty good but I ha been wrong before.

olddav
02-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I would think that it would expand and contract too much. I believe that what roofs do ( expand and contract), but I know very little about roofing materials in general. Does the manufacture have any info?

67tundra
02-22-2015, 12:05 PM
It's also used to glue bedsides and 1/4 panels on its a replacement for welding.

sharpshooter
02-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Sounds more like Nascar glue. I'd stick to proven bedding componds.

olddav
02-22-2015, 03:03 PM
"Roof skins" now I understand, still don't think I would use it for bedding a rifle. On the other hand give it a try, might learn something.

stomp442
02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Whats wrong with epoxy and fiber glass? easy to find, cheap and easy to do.

67tundra
02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
I was just thinking it's pretty tough stuff it's available to me easily. I mean you use it as a structural glue to hold structural parts on vehicles. I might just have to try it i don't think it will really expanded and shrink or crack.

GaCop
02-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Please let us know how it works out. If you have one, I'd try it on a beater stock first.

67tundra
02-23-2015, 06:13 PM
I may just make some samples here at work and see what I think and try and find something that works as a good release agent.

thomae
02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Here's my 2¢:

I want my bedding compound to be hard, so it does not compress when the action is torqued into the stock. Temperature stability without expansion and contraction is important as well. Just because no one has tried it, does not mean it won't work, but I'd try a sample block first ( you could fill part of an old ice cube tray after coating it with release agent, and when the ice cube of your epoxy was fully cured, you could test it to see how hard it is. If it is designed to be a permanently flexible adhesive, It probably wouldn't be an ideal bedding compound. However, if not, and it works for you, let us know; we're interested!

67tundra
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
I can send a section of panel bond to someone who knows more about it them me and have them let us know what they think.

GaCop
03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Fascinating! Keep us posted on the outcome please.

67tundra
03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
I would like to send a chunk of it to someone that knows what to look for and how to test it. Pm with your address someone.

thomae
03-16-2015, 04:17 PM
67tundra sent me a bit of 8115. I got it today and started playing with it.

BLUF: I think it would work as well as Devcon 11010 or JB Weld as a bedding compound.

It seems to be about as hard as JB Weld and Devcon. I can shave off bits with a sharp edge. I heated it with a heat gun to the scientifically accurate temperature of "pretty hot, but not too hot to hold" and it seemed to maintain its hardness and shape. I can put a mark on it when I apply a LOT of force in a very small area (with a punch, for example) but I can do that to JB weld also.

I did put it in a vice and really clamped it down, putting much more pressure on it than it would see in a bedding job. The sharp teeth of the vice marked it, but didn't sink in all the way. Overall, the chunk was not deformed.

I think with the relatively low force of the action screws spread out over the entire bedding area, it would work just fine. I'd be willing to give it a go.

Looking online, the downside seems to be that it is rather expensive. However if you have access to this and can get it for cheap, I'd say go for it.

I still have my sample and if anyone wants me to run any specific tests, please let me know.

Caveat: I did not yet test it with any solvents, so I don't know if it would be damaged by typical gun cleaning liquids.