PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 Palma vs. other Target Actions

Dennis
02-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Like the title states, what is the biggest difference with the Palma rifle vs. the other Target Actions?

Does the Palma have any special Action parts, or recoil lug and nut differences?

I know the twist is 13.

I was told the Palma Actions had more precise machined parts vs. the others.

I already called Savage, not much help.

I am looking for your opinion and facts.

Dennis

Robinhood
02-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Dennis, I talked to a guy shooting one sometime early last year. I was a few spots down with the F/TR. I saw nothing externaly different from the F/TR except for the barrel length and the .75"x1.75" muzzle diameter. The stock was nice for a factory piece. We talked about Savage rifles, triggers and actions for a while, I don't remember him saying anything was different. I am interested in another owners observations.

Hotolds442
02-21-2015, 11:08 AM
One of the differences I'm aware of, is that the Palma rifle uses what Savage calls a "ground" bolt head. What's so special about it? I'm really not sure.

sharpshooter
02-21-2015, 11:59 PM
The only differences are:1. The barrel (1-13" twist) 2. The stock (all the bells,whistles and adjustments). 3. The receiver is drilled and tapped for receiver sights.
Other than that, all of the other parts are the same as any other target action. There are no more precision made than other models.

gotcha
02-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the input Sharpshooter. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Robinhood
02-22-2015, 04:08 PM
3. The receiver is drilled and tapped for receiver sights.

Yep, He had sights mounted on the rifle.

Dennis
02-22-2015, 06:25 PM
The above about clears it up. I have heard a lot of comments about the Palma mostly concerning the action. I wanted to know the facts, I now have them!

Thanks, Dennis

esylman
03-10-2015, 07:39 AM
The Stock is really comfortable, the trigger is nice. THATS IT.
im really disappointed in this gun.
i am going to have a custom barrel installed in 308. Savage is not able to give very much info on this gun. Really limited to what bullets can be used. So disappointed. This gun is only good if you are going to use it in Pama competition only...
it seems that this gun is going to cost 50% more just to have it work properly. Doesn't seem right.
always had great luck with Savage before this. This gun is quite the let down....

Dennis, I talked to a guy shooting one sometime early last year. I was a few spots down with the F/TR. I saw nothing externaly different from the F/TR except for the barrel length and the .75"x1.75" muzzle diameter. The stock was nice for a factory piece. We talked about Savage rifles, triggers and actions for a while, I don't remember him saying anything was different. I am interested in another owners observations.

barrel-nut
03-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Palma competition is a rather extreme shooting sport, from what little I know about it. The rules require .308's using 155gr bullets only and iron sights only. Shooting takes place at 1000 yds. Hence the 30" barrel, 1-13" twist, and short throat. You bought a rifle that is optimized for very unusual conditions. You cannot expect it to be very versatile, or it wouldn't work very well for its intended purpose.

J.Baker
03-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm really disappointed in this gun.
Really limited to what bullets can be used. So disappointed.
This gun is only good if you are going to use it in Pama competition only...
it seems that this gun is going to cost 50% more just to have it work properly. Doesn't seem right.
always had great luck with Savage before this. This gun is quite the let down....

So it's Savage's fault you didn't do your research first? News Flash - it's called the PALMA RIFLE for a reason - meaning it's SPECIFICALLY designed for Palma competition. The fact that you didn't do your research and purchase a model that's more in line with your specific wants/needs IS NOT Savage's fault.

Robinhood
03-11-2015, 03:23 AM
So it's Savage's fault you didn't do your research first? News Flash - it's called the PALMA RIFLE for a reason - meaning it's SPECIFICALLY designed for Palma competition. The fact that you didn't do your research and purchase a model that's more in line with your specific wants/needs IS NOT Savage's fault.

I find this funny.

hothead
03-11-2015, 04:48 PM
I bought a Savage Palma rifle this winter, Just started shooting it for load development. It shoots Berger 175 Gr. vld's in the threes and low fours for 5 shot groups. and isn't at all finicky on the load. I gave it a good breakin this winter, and amazingly the bbl looks really with the borescope.
I also bought a rifle through the Savage custom shop. It is a Palma rifle with an F/tr barrel . I wanted the palma adjustable stock for F/tr shooting. This rifle shoots the 175 very good also. I was hoping to use the 185 Jagernauts but so far haven't found the load for them. But the 175's are awesome.
So this is saying they do shoot. I've only shot at 100yds. because of the snow on the ground but i'm sure they will perform. And this is as factory, not bedded.
I did touch up the throat and crown. but that was it. The reason for throating was I like the bullets to seat mid neck. NOT because of a defect.
hh